This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6273 / 55°37'38"N
Longitude: -3.059 / 3°3'32"W
OS Eastings: 333417
OS Northings: 637592
OS Grid: NT334375
Mapcode National: GBR 732C.JL
Mapcode Global: WH6V6.ZTJD
Entry Name: Leithen Road, Mansley Lodge and the Green Gates Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 1 March 1978
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 379407
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34972
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale East
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
Late 18th century with earlier 19th century and later additions. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan symmetrical former manse (now subdivided) with corniced square pilastered doorpiece. Finely tooled whinstone rubble with tabbed raised and painted sandstone window margins. Base course. Later 20th century brick and rendered external stair, sunroom and box dormers to N.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows; panelled timber door with 4-pane glazed fanlight. Slate roofs; stone skews; corniced ashlar gable end stacks with plain cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: some good later 19th century detailing in place including egg and dart cornicing to principal room. Marble chimneypieces with tiled inserts and some plain timber mantels to upper floor. A mixture of 6- and 4-panel doors.
BOUNDARY WALLS: whinstone rubble.
Mansley Lodge and The Green Gables is a large former manse with a fine Classical main elevation, which makes a strong contribution to the local history of the area. The building was adapted from a 18th century farmhouse to be used as the manse for the adjacent Old Parish Church (demolished circa 1880) in 1779.
The building is thought to have been built in two stages; according to Kitty Cruft the N section was added later in 1879 by Archibald Nicol. The whole building is however shown on Dobson's map of 1849 suggesting otherwise. The owner was told by the previous occupant that the section to the North was an early 18th century farmhouse with the main elevation South section and being added in the earlier 19th century. A visible line in the gable of the N section would also strengthen the case that it is an earlier building with the roof being raised at a later date.
There is no evidence of the internal staircase, removed during the subdivision, which could help with understanding the former layout of the house before the property was subdivided.
L-plan former stables to the West, under separate ownership and converted to housing, have interesting diamond roof ventilators.
List description revised 2008.
Other nearby listed buildings