This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0306 / 56°1'50"N
Longitude: -3.3977 / 3°23'51"W
OS Eastings: 312995
OS Northings: 682847
OS Grid: NT129828
Mapcode National: GBR 20.S4LZ
Mapcode Global: WH6S3.SP77
Entry Name: 16, 20, 22 High, Street Burgh Arms Hotel
Listing Date: 11 December 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 379546
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35097
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Traditional County: Fife
Earlier 19th century; later addition to N, dated 1888. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay rectangular-plan town house converted to pub and hotel; 2-storey, 4-bay extension with pend to left; extensive 19th and 20th century additions to rear. Lime-washed stone to W (front); dressed stone; rubble, brick and render to E (rear); painted margins and quoins; stone cills; base course. Dormers to earlier 19th century building.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 19th century house: central 2-leaf timber panelled door; flanking windows. 3 1st floor windows. 2 polygonal piended dormers, slate cheeks. 1888 extension (to left): pend to penultimate bay left with 2-leaf timber boarded gates; timber door with plain fanlight to far left; 2 leaf timber panelled door (pub entrance), plain fanlight to right; window to far right. Inset pediment dated 1888 and 1664, raised lettering below "BURGH / ARMS"; flanking windows.
S ELEVATION: adjoins 24 High Street.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: complex arrangement of later additions. Advanced 2-storey, 2-bay extension to left, fronting small courtyard area; slightly advanced piended 1st floor extension to centre; pend entrance to far right. Brick coal bins to courtyard.
N ELEVATION: adjoins 12, 14, 18 High Street.
Predominantly 4-pane in timber sash and case windows with horns. Pitched and piended roofs; slates to W (front), concrete tiles and easing slates to E (rear); coped brick ridge and wallhead stacks; circular clay cans.
INTERIOR: most of original fabric to pub interior missing. Complex plan of interconnecting rooms above and to rear of pub. Decorative plaster cornice and ceiling rose to 1st floor drawing room to rear 2-bay extension (to SE); staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters with mahogany handrail to rear. Original stone fireplace to attic room.
This range of buildings contributes to Inverkeithing's burgh streetscape. The 1888 extension was built on the site of a house dating to 1664.
Re-categorised as C(S) from B for Group (2006). The listing relates specifically to the group interest of the subject. It applies, as always, to interior as well as exterior, as appropriate to building type.
Other nearby listed buildings