This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0293 / 56°1'45"N
Longitude: -3.3994 / 3°23'57"W
OS Eastings: 312889
OS Northings: 682705
OS Grid: NT128827
Mapcode National: GBR 20.S48G
Mapcode Global: WH6S3.RQG7
Entry Name: 2 Hope Street, (Old Corn Exchange) Including Terrace
Listing Date: 19 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 379559
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35110
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Traditional County: Fife
WEST (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Advanced central bay with date stone to moulded pediment inscribed "MDCCCXXXIII". Slightly advanced broad pilastered ends. 3 glazed round arched doorways, square windows centred above ground floor openings.
SOUTH ELEVATION: plain gable.
EAST (REAR) ELEVATION: symmetrical, 4-bays. 1st floor window to penultimate bay right converted to doorway with external metal stair.
NORTH ELEVATION: blocked doorway to far right. 1st floor window to right.
12-pane timber sash and case windows; over-sized fanlight above glazed and timber panelled door set between glazed and timber panelled sidelights to arched openings. Piended roof; graded grey slates; internal gutters behind eaves course.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2002. Originally large single space with coved ceiling and arch to pedimented front section. 1st floor added later. Converted to shop and light industrial use in 1990s.
TERRACE TO WEST: 1990s. Stone-faced terrace comprising low retaining wall on ground falling to south along Hope Street, surmounted by 5 square-plan gatepiers with shallow pyramidal caps, cast iron railings with flèche finials. Central stair access; coach access to far northwest corner.
The austere classical detailing befits the standing of the Old Corn Exchange, formerly an important public building serving Inverkeithing s once bustling market trade. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map notes the building as 'Market House . The land to the rear originally formed a long wide rig leading east down to the harbour, but was bisected after the arrival of the North British Railway in 1890. By 1896 the building was used as a drill hall. Later in the 20th century it was used as a motor traders. Although the openings have been re-glazed to suit modern use as a chemist s laboratory, the distinguished character of the building has been retained (2003).
Other nearby listed buildings