This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6126 / 55°36'45"N
Longitude: -4.6656 / 4°39'56"W
OS Eastings: 232205
OS Northings: 638672
OS Grid: NS322386
Mapcode National: GBR 38.MGFH
Mapcode Global: WH2P3.96H3
Entry Name: Kirkgate, Irvine Old Parish Church and Graveyard, Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 14 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 379990
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35409
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Irvine West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1774. Large, rectangular classical box church. 5-bay front with dominant 6-stage tower, 5-bay sides and 6-bay rear. Rubble, part rendered, sandstone ashlar tower and dressings, rusticated quoins, eaves band and cornice. Round-arched windows lighting gallery and upper level, smaller segmental-arched windows under gallery to SE. Evidence of raised wallhead in masonry change.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central 6-stage tower advanced; 1st stage round-arched door with segmental fanlight, Venetian window above with blinded side lights, cornice above. 2nd stage, square with round-arched windows framed by engaged columned Roman Doric aedicule with triglyphs, mutules and roundel window in tympanum, another in base of stage. 3rd stage, square with decorated pilaster quoins, urn finials and large square clock face on 3 sides (dated 1803), window to 4th side. 4th stage, octagonal, round-arched louvred openings set in frame of engaged Ionic columns supporting curved architrave and dentil cornice. 5th stage, octagonal, round-arched openings alternating blinded and louvred, set in frame of pilaster strips, projecting cornice above supporting balustrade of 6th stage, octagonal with round-arched openings. Cornice above with octagonal, ashlar spire, weathervane. Tall windows flanking tower, outer bays with regular fenestration.
SE ELEVATION: 6 regularly fenestrated bays, round-arched windows, with round-arched door between centre bays.
NE AND SW ELEVATIONS: 5-bay, round-arched door to centre with window above, regular fenestration in flanking bays.
Multi-pane glazing in sash and case windows, stained glass to others. Grey slate, piended roof. Panelled, 2-leaf doors with radial round- arched fanlights.
INTERIOR: to be seen during consultation.
GRAVEYARD, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: graveyard containing fine classical gravestones and wall-mounted monuments, obelisks and urn- mounted Greek style monuments predominating, of 19th century date. Rubble boundary walls. Corniced gatepiers to Kirkgate entrance with cone-finialled gate pilasters and decorative 2-leaf wrought-iron gates, corniced ashlar piers to Kirk Vennel entrance. Openings between Kirk Vennel and Cemetery and cemetery and graveyard with pilaster-pedimented red sandstone ashlar piers; decorative wrought-iron gate.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Originally seated for 1800. Repaired in 1830, refurbished in 1897. Warner bell dated 1797.