This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6074 / 55°36'26"N
Longitude: -4.5005 / 4°30'1"W
OS Eastings: 242585
OS Northings: 637701
OS Grid: NS425377
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MXNN
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.VB34
Entry Name: Dundonald Road, the Parsonage Includung Boundary Wall and Gatepiers (To Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, Portland Road)
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 380569
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35885
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
James Ingram, 1859. 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan manse with single storey L-plan extension to S. Coursed sandstone rubble with stugged ashlar dressings. Projecting base course leading to sloped ground floor sills. Plain skewputts with moulded edges and moulded gablet putts.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central pointed arch doorway, hoodmould with block label stops, window to 1st floor. Advanced gable to left with tripartite window to ground floor and single window to 1st floor, blind trefoil to gablehead with wrought-iron wallhead cross finial at apex. Recessed bay to right of door with single light to ground and 1st floor, round window to wall-head gable. Single storey extension to ground floor left with two regularly placed bipartite windows. Single storey link with church to right: single arched light to left, buttress adjacent and triple light window to right.
S ELEVATION: single storey gabled wing to right with window to left, paired doors and window to left return and lean-to concealing ground floor elevation; blind gable of main house to 1st floor.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 2-bay: advanced gable to left with bipartite window to ground floor, centrally placed window to 1st floor, arrowslit to gablehead; bipartite window to ground floor right with centrally placed single window to 1st floor. Single storey lean-to to right return with single window, further window and door on right return.
N ELEVATION: adjoining single storey corridor (see E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION) to ground floor; blind gable end to 1st floor.
2, 3, 6 & 9-pane timber sash and case windows to principal elevation. 4 & 6-pane timber combination windows to rear with single timber fixed pane window to rear gablehead. Piended grey slate roof with 2 bands of decorative fish-scale slates to principal elevation and single storey additions. Buff painted cast-iron rainwater goods with partially concealed gutters high under eaves. Large stepped stone gablehead stacks with 5 plain cans.
INTERIOR: arched doorframes, large rooms, many original features (eg: staircase); timber entrance door with arched glazing leading to inner porch with multi-paned timber door.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: low coursed rubble wall with smooth semi-circular copes. Pair of low square gatepiers with pyramidal caps to pedestrian entrance; later wrought-iron gates.
A-Group with Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, Portland Road. The Parsonage (sometimes mistakenly referred to as the Rectory) stands adjacent to the Church, which was built in 1857. Prolific local architect James Ingram, father of Robert, designed the Parsonage which is stylistically similar to the houses and Winton Place E.U. Church found to the south, also by the same architect. The church and parsonage stand on the site of the terminus of the first railway in Scotland, running from Kilmarnock to Troon and used to transport coals from the Duke of Portland's mines for export. The Irish famine (1845-1849) saw an influx of Irish to the West coast of Scotland, many of whom settled in Kilmarnock. Many were members of the Church of Ireland, which is affiliated in full Communion with the Scottish Episcopal Church. Although a mission hall was in use (established by Bishop Trower of Glasgow) it became too small for the needs of the congregation. A building committee collected funds and purchased this site. A nave, chancel and organ loft were designed by James Wallace. After completion, Bishop Trower consecrated it on 11th August, 1857. The Parsonage was completed 2 years later. Later, the church was further extended, most notably in 1876 by the George Gilbert Scott chancel. The parsonage is one of the only buildings of its type to remain in its original use in Kilmarnock.
Other nearby listed buildings