History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Elmbank Avenue, Former Kilmarnock Technical School Including Gatepiers and Railings

A Category B Listed Building in Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6082 / 55°36'29"N

Longitude: -4.4915 / 4°29'29"W

OS Eastings: 243152

OS Northings: 637767

OS Grid: NS431377

Mapcode National: GBR 3H.ML1X

Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.Z9CK

Entry Name: Elmbank Avenue, Former Kilmarnock Technical School Including Gatepiers and Railings

Listing Date: 3 July 1980

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 380578

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35893

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kilmarnock

County: East Ayrshire

Town: Kilmarnock

Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Hurlford

Description

Gabriel Andrew and William Newlands, 1907-1909; 1912 extension by Ayrshire Education Authority. 2-storey, 11-bay early 20th century baroque school with raised basement and later 11-bay wing to right. E-plan main block; pedimented centre projection; banded rustication to ground floor; band course at ground floor; panelled pilasters with decorative cartouches at angles; elevation divided by pilaster strips with ancones; balustraded parapet; raised cills to all windows; raised lintels to all 1st floor windows. Red Ballochmyle sandstone ashlar.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION

11-BAY PRINCIPAL RANGE: projecting central bay: recessed entrance door with approach flight of steps; segmental fanlight above; large, elaborate, moulded shell-hood supported on massive, decorated scrolls; central hanging ornament holding original light-fitting; cartouches flank shell-hood; paired attached Ionic columns with drop mouldings and entablature, decorated with symbols of science and art,

flank 9-light mullion and transom windows at 1st floor; broken pediment above; semi-circular tympanum decorated with allegorical figures at bottom of pediment; mask and garland swags at top. Projecting 3-bay pavilions: regular fenestration, with keystones, at basement; architraved and aproned windows at 1st floor; console bracket keystones to all windows; central window with open segmental pediment; regular fenestration above with architraved and aproned windows, all with consoled bracket keystones. 2-bay recesses flank centre: 2 bipartite, keystoned windows at basement; 2 4-light mullioned and transom windows at 1st floor with cill brackets; 2 4-light mullioned and transom windows above at 2nd floor with shouldered architrave and cill brackets. Right return: 3-bays to left with regular fenestration; attached wing to right.

1912, 11-BAY WING: 2-storey, 11-bay wing to right: recessed 3-bay range with regular fenestration; 8-bay projection with regular fenestration.

SW ELEVATION: 12-bay elevation; basement door in 2nd bay from left; bipartite windows with keystones in 5th -12th bays; 3-bay pavilions (design as end pavilions of main elevation). 6-bay central range: 4-light mullioned and transom windows with raised cills and cill brackets at 1st floor; 4-light mullioned and transom windows with shouldered architraves, raised cills and cill brackets at 2nd floor.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: later redbrick additions.

Blocked windows. Grey slate U-plan piended roof.

INTERIOR: property currently empty and boarded up (2001).

GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: wrought-iron railings with pointed heads and dog bars; similarly designed gates. Ballochmyle ashlar gatepiers with pedimented capitals.

Statement of Interest

B-Group with Kilmarnock Academy, St Columba's Primary School and Loanhead Primary School. The Technical School was not the first school of Science and Art in Kilmarnock. From 1848, the Philosophical Institution of Kilmarnock had wanted such an establishment, but only in 1865 did matters progress. The Reverend John Symington, tired of the talk and little action, proposed to take the role of fundraiser and a public appeal raised ?50. The first teacher employed was Mr Black and in 1878, with the assistance of the Government, a new building to house the school was opened. However, by 1907-09 attendance had grown so the partnership of Andrew and Newlands was commissioned to design a new school that displayed the wealth and philanthropy of the town. It cost ?18,000. The exuberance of the school is typical of the contemporary work of the practice and demonstrates the hand of Newlands rather than Andrew, who usually displayed more decorative restraint than Newlands. Later in the 20th century, the Technical School was joined with Kilmarnock Academy (see separate list description), which was built behind the School on Braeside, to provide much needed school accommodation.'

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.