This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6099 / 55°36'35"N
Longitude: -4.5001 / 4°30'0"W
OS Eastings: 242618
OS Northings: 637983
OS Grid: NS426379
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MQ2D
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.V886
Entry Name: 6 Grange Street, the Artist's House
Listing Date: 4 August 1978
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 380584
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35899
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1818 with later additions and alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay former artist's house. Asymmetrical main elevation with some classical features: Ionic doorway, relief panel and Serlian window. Gabled end to right with Serlian window; pediment detailing with small segmental pediment at apex. Base course; raised cills; lintels and scrolled brackets; eaves course; blocking course to left range with central panel, engraved with figure of reclining female artist, with flanking scrolls. Painted elevation; painted and raised margins.
W (MAIN) ELEVATION: central entrance doorway, composed of Ionic pilasters, entablature and cornice; blocked single window in left bay; 2 single windows above at 1st floor; taller 2-storey gable to right with tripartite window at ground and Serlian window above.
2-pane timber sash and case glazing; 3 and 5-pane to Serlian window. Slate roof; straight skews; tall brick stack to N gablehead with 4 pots.
INTERIOR: not seen 2001.
This house once belonged to the artist James Tannock and his brother William, who was also a talented painter. James studied painting with the artist Alexander Nasymth in Edinburgh before heading to London. In the capital, James benefited greatly from the patronage of another Kilmarnock son, Sir James Shaw, who was Lord Mayor of London at the time of James' visit. James later returned to the house on Grange Street, dying there on 6th May 1863. His brother William died 14 years later. The house and the brother's gallery later passed into the possession of the Parochial Board and the Inspector of Poor's office was accommodated there. The land that the house is built on was conveyed to the family by the Duchess of Portland.
Other nearby listed buildings