This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6084 / 55°36'30"N
Longitude: -4.4994 / 4°29'57"W
OS Eastings: 242655
OS Northings: 637814
OS Grid: NS426378
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MQ79
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.V9LC
Entry Name: 108 - 114 (Even Numbers) John Finnie Street (Former Kilmarnock Arms)
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 380613
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35924
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1890. 3-storey, 7-bay, Classical commercial corner building; 3-storey, 2-bay returning to Nelson Street. Red sandstone ashlar with polished dressings, band and eaves courses. Pilastered and architraved windows. Yellow brick rear elevation and lesser stacks.
W (PRINCIPAL - JOHN FINNIE STREET) ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated later ground floor. To 1st and 2nd bays, much later shop front with roll down security shutters; large painted fascia board lit by gold lights above; to 3rd bay, door with window to flanks; no fascia, but arched sign to left of window. From end of 4th bay to start of 7th bay, shop window with small arched sign to right, pair of semi-glazed doors to right; large fascia board lit by gold lights above. To 7th and 8th bay, large paired windows; panelled door to right with small rectangular fanlight surmounting. 7 regularly placed architraved windows to 1st floor. String course supporting band course. To 2nd floor, 7 pilastered windows with recessed rectangular aprons above band course; angle pilasters, all pilasters adjoining eaves course.
N (NELSON STREET) ELEVATION: later door to ground floor left with original bipartite window to right. To 1st floor: paired windows to left, single window to right. To 2nd floor: window to right, now blind.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: partially concealed behind Bank Street and Nelson Street buildings; some blind brick expanses visible near eaves.
S ELEVATION: blind gable end adjoining lower 2-storey building (currently insurance and Co-op Funeral and Monumental Services).
2-pane timber sash and case windows to upper floors, horned upper sashes; replacement mock sash and case window 5th bay of 2nd floor. Modern plate glass shop windows to ground floor retail units with semi-glazed doors. Later, pitched, brown concrete tile, replacement roof; matching ridge tiles. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods to principal elevations; gutters concealed by cornice, downpipes to N elevation; replacement plastic gutter to rear elevation. Coursed, red ashlar wallhead stack to 3rd bay of principal elevation, with stepped base, projecting neck copes and 4 yellow cans. Similar stepped stack between bays 7 and 8, but narrower with 3 yellow cans. Yellow brick wallhead stack to N elevation, replacement terracotta cans; much later silver ventilation flues to angles. Wide, yellow brick, roofline stack with stone neck cope and 4 cans.
INTERIOR: ground floor modernised to form food outlets, previously a public house. Upper floors, not seen, 2001.
Part of the John Finnie Street A-Group. John Finnie Street is nearly ? mile long and was built around 1864. It provided a grand thoroughfare for the town with the focal point to the north being the railway station. Business and commerce spread to this street and rows of high quality, 3-storey, red sandstone buildings were constructed. The ground floors were given over to retail; offices and accommodation were above. The street dominated the lower, narrower streets in Kilmarnock that were filled with traditional buildings. The street's architect was William Railton, who went on to design the Kilmarnock Infirmary (now demolished) and the surveyor was Robert Blackwood. This building was constructed in around 1890. The ground floor was used for commercial premises, whilst the upper floors were accommodation. By the 1930's, most of the ground floor was taken up by "A Stevenson Shipping". Miss Mary J McCormack, a spirit merchant, was found at 112. 110 was accommodation and housed, amongst others, a miner and a motor driver. At 114 was found Gilbert Bunton, tailors. Currently, the building is still in commercial use. Previously, the ground floor was home to the "Kilmarnock Arms" public house.
Other nearby listed buildings