History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

London Road, Sir James Shaw's Statue

A Category B Listed Building in Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.609 / 55°36'32"N

Longitude: -4.4903 / 4°29'25"W

OS Eastings: 243231

OS Northings: 637856

OS Grid: NS432378

Mapcode National: GBR 3H.ML99

Mapcode Global: WH3QB.081X

Entry Name: London Road, Sir James Shaw's Statue

Listing Date: 3 July 1980

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 380618

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35930

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kilmarnock

County: East Ayrshire

Town: Kilmarnock

Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Hurlford

Description

James Fillians, sculptor, 1848; re-sited 1929. Statue of Sir James Shaw on moulded pedestal and stepped plinth; later paved concrete tiered base. Carrara marble figure, polished ashlar pedestal resting on Aberdeen granite base.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2 wide, modern steps; 2-course granite base; tall, square architraved pedestal with bowed front and rear. Inscribed to front bow: "SIR JAMES SHAW BART, Lord Mayor of London 1805. Born 26th August 1765. Died 22 October 1843. Erected 4th August 1848." Posed figure of James Shaw surmounting in period dress and mayoral robes; holding scroll in right hand and lifting robe in left.

Statement of Interest

Located in parkland off London Road, opposite the Dick Institute and adjacent to the War Memorial and former Technical School (all listed separately). The 1st Edition OS map shows the statue in its original position in The Cross from 1848. It was located to the NE of the Gallows site. The statue stood here until 1929, when it was moved due to increased usage of The Cross by motor vehicles. Thomas McDowall (stonemason) oversaw the statue's removal to its present site. Sir James Shaw, known locally as Jimmy, was born in 1764 at Mosshead, Riccarton (SW of Treesbank). As the son of a farmer, he partook in a rudimentary education at Kilmarnock Grammar School before leaving for America at the age of 17. He returned 3 years later and went to London to work with his brother. It was at this time he developed an interest in politics, which led to him eventually being elected as MP for the City of London. He became the first Scotsman to be elected "Lord Mayor of London" in 1805. He had the honour of leading the funeral procession of Lord Nelson. He was given the baronetcy in 1809. Shaw was a keen patron of the arts and bestowed generous gifts on the town. When he died, the Town Council was persuaded to erect a statue of him after his generosity to the town. ?1000 was raised and James Fillians created an 8ft high Carrara marble figure, using a portrait of Shaw by local artist Tannock (one of Shaw's proteges). Shaw is represented in his official robes of office. He is holding a scroll that represents the "warrant of precedence" he obtained in1806. This warrant revived the right of the Lord Mayor of London to take precedence over everyone except the sovereign in all public processions in the city.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.