This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.068 / 56°4'4"N
Longitude: -3.1763 / 3°10'34"W
OS Eastings: 326862
OS Northings: 686752
OS Grid: NT268867
Mapcode National: GBR 29.PLCM
Mapcode Global: WH6S1.5RQ2
Entry Name: Rossland Place, Public Library and Community Centre (Formerly Kinghorn Primary School)
Listing Date: 24 November 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 380990
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB36250
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Traditional County: Fife
Thomas Hamilton, 1829; extended to rear 1874 and 1986. Single storey, 5-bay former school with engaged octagonal entrance bay and Baroque clock tower. Dark whinstone rubble with contrasting ashlar quoins; 1874 extension sandstone rubble also with ashlar quoins. Eaves course.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Tall, semi-octagonal bay projecting to centre with steps up to canopied doorway and 2-leaf panelled timber door, small lantern at apex, and 2 windows to each flanking bay.
CLOCK TOWER: 2-stage clock tower rising behind centre bay with round-headed voussoired opening to each face of open belfry with bell, pilastered angles, moulded cornice and reduced 2nd stage with heavily scrolled angles surmounted by clock face (also to each elevation), and moulded attenuated ball finial with cast-iron weathervane.
N ELEVATION: 2 closely aligned windows in advanced bay to right of centre, with modern porch in re-entrant angle to left, and further window in lower original bay to outer left.
S ELEVATION: mirrors above but without porch.
W ELEVATION: late 20th century extension to right of centre; flat-roofed porch projecting to centre and 2 pairs of closely aligned windows to left.
8-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Slated and piended roofs. Coped ashlar stacks with cans.
INTERIOR: modernised with exception of engaged octagonal entrance bay which retains stucco casts of Elgin marbles.
The Parish School, originally a cruciform-plan, opened in 1830 with 120 pupils enjoying the accommodation of "Parish Schoolroom, Museum, Schoolroom for Infants and Females, Drawing Room, Shrubbery, Gymnasium, Bowling Green", all supervised by Mr Barclay the town clerk. The extra rooms came into use in 1876, with schoolhouse and janitor's house erected in 1877. By 1888 the children were again overcrowded and a separate building was needed. In 1914 the school was requisitioned for troop accommodation It was finally closed in 1983 and opened as library and community centre in 1986.
Other nearby listed buildings