This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1167 / 56°7'0"N
Longitude: -3.1545 / 3°9'16"W
OS Eastings: 328313
OS Northings: 692155
OS Grid: NT283921
Mapcode National: GBR 29.LR7W
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.JJ35
Entry Name: Dunnikier Road, Fire Station with Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 27 March 1986
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 381073
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB36318
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
George Duffus, Kirkcaldy Burgh Surveyor; 1938: interior altered 1990. Thirties Modern 3-storey fire station with tall square practice tower at NE. Ferro-concrete frame; mostly harled with ashlar and brick at ground W. Horizontal emphasis with deep ashlar base course, ground floor cornice, band course over 2nd floor and deep parapet.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Shallow advanced outer 2-bay pavilions with tripartite windows at ground and 2 windows to each floor above, flanked by 3 wide vehicle openings, outer 2 with iron cresting, centre opening with moulded, keystoned ashlar surround and flanking lamps; modern doors. 4 symmetrical bays to each floor above.
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical elevation with low flat-roofed extension projecting from square tower to outer left and taller practice tower to outer right; variety of openings with 2 decks above ground.
N ELEVATION: asymmetrical fenestration; door to centre at ground and tower to outer left.
S ELEVATION: asymmetrical fenestration.
Metal-framed casement windows with original glazing pattern. Asymmetrically-shouldered, corniced wallhead stacks and concealed roof.
INTERIOR: modern. Original floor and glazed tile dado retained in engine room.
BOUNDARY WALL: Ashlar-coped rubble built retaining wall to W.
Duffus' fire station, a close copy of James Shearer's 1935 station at Dunfermline, was built at a cost of ?15,235, and was officially opened on 20 April, 1938. The W doors were originally of mahogany.
Other nearby listed buildings