This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1123 / 56°6'44"N
Longitude: -3.1585 / 3°9'30"W
OS Eastings: 328054
OS Northings: 691668
OS Grid: NT280916
Mapcode National: GBR 29.LY38
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.GM5K
Entry Name: 40 Kirk Wynd, Hendry Hall
Listing Date: 28 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 381075
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB36320
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1890. 2-storey and single storey, rectangular-plan Scottish Baronial church hall, session house and beadle's house, on ground falling to S and W. Crowsteps, corner tower and bartizan, bellcote, corbelling and griffon rainwater head. Bull-faced squared and snecked rubble, dressed ashlar quoins and dressings; chamfered base course over deep plinth, eaves cornice. Roll-moulded and tabbed surrounds, corniced and dated strapwork pedimented doorhead, relieving arches and chamfered cills.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: steps up to deep-set 2-leaf boarded timber door with letterbox fanlight and strapwork pediment with entwined initials 'DH' and date '1890', to left of centre and adjacent window to outer left, window to centre and further window in bay to right; 1st floor with 2 windows to left of centre below chimney gable with carved panel in gablehead and ball and spike finialled, conical-roofed, corbelled turret with 3 narrow lights to outer left corner, window to right of centre over decorative rainwater head and ball-finialled gablet with circular moulding breaking eaves above, bartizan to outer right.
E (CHURCHYARD) ELEVATION: single storey, 3-bay (bays grouped to right). 3 windows, each in crowstepped gablet breaking eaves. Centre bay with carved oval panel in gablehead, outer bays with circular mouldings, that to left inscribed with initials 'KPC' and that to right 'JC'; large commemorative marble tablet between bays 2 and 3. Circular bellcote with slated apron, attenuated turret roof and wrought-iron weathervane finial to centre.
S ELEVATION: flight of steps rising to E. Door to outer right at single storey level, and adjacent window to left, both with relieving arches; archway abutting to outer right.
N ELEVATION: blank chimney gable.
13- and 15-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates, fish-scale pattern to turrets, and pierced terracotta ridge tiles. Cavetto coped ashlar stacks with cans and ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater head.
INTERIOR: Old Session House entered from S: hall with vaulted, panelled ceiling, decorative cornice, panelled dado and soffits. Blocked timber fireplace to W and narrow raised platform to N wall with 2 architraved and pedimented doorways and panelled timber doors flanking pilastered and panelled niche with decorative semicircular pediment and flanking finials.
Built on the Old Trades Hall site, Hendry Hall, the gift of Daniel Hendry, was opened on 4th February 1891.
Other nearby listed buildings