This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1122 / 56°6'43"N
Longitude: -3.1596 / 3°9'34"W
OS Eastings: 327987
OS Northings: 691655
OS Grid: NT279916
Mapcode National: GBR 29.LXT8
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.FMNN
Entry Name: 37 Kirk Wynd with Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 10 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 381078
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB36323
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central
Traditional County: Fife
18th century, with 1901 wing by Robert Little. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay classical house converted to legal office. Harled with stone margins and quoin strips; ashlar wing. Eaves course. Architraved doorway, canted window with blocking course. Stone mullions.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: deep-set timber door to centre with window in bay to right and canted quadripartite window with delicate wrought-iron parapet to left; regular fenestration to 1st floor. Slightly recessed, small single storey extension with panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight to left, window to right.
S (HUNTER STREET) ELEVATION: window to centre at 1st floor and in gablehead.
W ELEVATION: flat-roofed extension (former garage/gig house) at ground, stair window to centre and windows to outer bays at 1st floor. 4 small modern rooflights.
Mainly 12-pane glazing pattern, with small-pane over plate glass lower sashes to canted window, all in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar gablehead stacks with full complement of cans, ashlar-coped skews. Decorative wrought-iron brattishing over canted window and at eaves (E and W).
INTERIOR: original and late 19th century decorative fixtures. Some plain cornicing and dado rails; vestibule with screen door (flanking lights blocked) and decorative-astragalled fanlight, curved stair with decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail; ground floor office to S with carved fireplace and overmantel, panelled soffits and dentilled cornice to architraved cupboard opening. Cast-iron fireplaces to attic rooms, round-headed fireplace with cast-iron grate and decorative Victorian fireplace with tiled cheeks. Extension with etched glass in screen door and timber fireplaces in angles of 2 rooms to N wing with overmantels of shelves and cupboards and Art Nouveau style beaten copper lintels.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low saddleback-coped boundary walls and semi- circular-coped, shaped rubble wall with window and moulded ashlar arched pedestrian gateway to Hunter Street elevation.
N wing glazing formerly with coloured glass to upper sashes. This building was formerly the Lodge for St Brycedale House (listed separately as Hunter Hospital) and was known in 1901 as 'Brycelaw'.
Other nearby listed buildings