This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1105 / 56°6'37"N
Longitude: -3.1585 / 3°9'30"W
OS Eastings: 328052
OS Northings: 691459
OS Grid: NT280914
Mapcode National: GBR 29.M4C1
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.GP60
Entry Name: 148, 150, 154 and 156 High Street, Commercial Bank Buildings
Listing Date: 28 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 381094
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB36333
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central
Traditional County: Fife
Possibly James Gillespie Graham, early 19th century, front altered 1894 and late 20th century. 3-storey, 5-bay former bank building now tenement with shops at ground. Ashlar with squared rubble and harl to rear, stone margins. Base course, ground floor cornice, 1st and 2nd floor cill courses, eaves cornice and blocking course. Elliptical- and basket-arched openings, pedimented and pilastered doorways, architraved and canopied windows; keystones.
N (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: slightly advanced pend entrance to centre with flanking Doric columns, stepped and part-fluted frieze, dentilled cornice and coped balustrade with flanking dies; shops to right and left of centre each with elliptical-arched, keystoned and pilastered polished granite doorcase below frieze with fluted capitals and pediment with thistle and 'COMMERCIAL BANK BUILDINGS' in tympanum; flanking display windows with similar outer granite pilasters and frieze. 5 canopied windows to 1st floor, that to centre with advanced balustrade of pend entrance, outer bays with similarly detailed balustrades; regular fenestration to 2nd floor and piended dormer windows flanking centre bay.
S ELEVATION: near symmetrical above ground. Basket-arched pend entrance to centre flanked by advanced, 2-storey lean-to stair towers and further turret-roofed stair tower to outer left.
12- and 15-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with cans and ashlar-coped skews.
No 152 (listed separately) was the bank house, accessed through the pend (see above). Gifford suggests James Gillespie Graham as architect as he was frequently employed by The Commercial Bank.
Other nearby listed buildings