This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1117 / 56°6'41"N
Longitude: -3.1569 / 3°9'24"W
OS Eastings: 328151
OS Northings: 691591
OS Grid: NT281915
Mapcode National: GBR 29.LYJF
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.GNX3
Entry Name: 224-226 (Even Nos) High Street with Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 10 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 381106
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB36345
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central
Traditional County: Fife
William Burn, 1833; altered at ground mid 20th century and 1966. 3-storey and basement, 3-bay, classical bank now tenement with shop at ground. Granite to ground floor, polished ashlar above. Base course, moulded dividing course and 1st floor mutuled cill course, cavetto eaves cornice and balustrade. Pilastraded ground floor and pedimented windows to 1st floor. Lugged and architraved windows above ground.
N (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: bay to right of centre with panelled timber door to right and tall display window to left mirrored in bay to left of centre, 2 windows to centre bay; all openings with deep plate glass fanlights. Slightly recessed round-headed pend entrance (Adam Smith's Close) to outer right. Small lion heads to outer right and left of mutuled cornice, 3 pedimented windows to 1st floor and 3 smaller windows to 2nd floor; ashlar-coped stone balustrade.
S ELEVATION: ground floor with timber door and fanlight in bay to right, 2 windows to centre, single storey extension projecting to left and further deeply recessed bay with round-headed pend entrance to outer left beyond boundary wall: advanced broad semicircular bay to left of centre above ground with tall tripartite window and cantilevered balcony to 1st floor and centre window to 2nd floor; bay to right with tripartite window to 1st floor (narrow flanking lights) and further window above; window to 2nd floor of recessed outer left bay.
12- and 15-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows; fixed plate glass glazing to ground floor N. Grey slates. Coped ashlar skews and ashlar-coped stacks with cans. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: top lit, oval stair with dado rail, decorative cast-iron handrails and timber baluster; 1st floor with elliptical-arched opening and fanlight with small-pane glazing, working shutters and decorative cornicing; round-headed doorway to basement with strong room and
BOUNDARY WALLS: coped rubble boundary walls.
The Bank of Scotland ceased trading from this building in the 1990s; converted to shop 1996.
Other nearby listed buildings