This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1231 / 56°7'23"N
Longitude: -3.1397 / 3°8'23"W
OS Eastings: 329241
OS Northings: 692843
OS Grid: NT292928
Mapcode National: GBR 2B.L8KP
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.RC2B
Entry Name: Ravenscraig Street, Craignairn House with Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 27 March 1986
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 381128
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB36359
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1830. 2-storey, 3-bay, piend-and-platform roofed classical house with flanking single storey pavilions. Stugged ashlar with polished dressings, harled to sides and rear. Base course and eaves cornice with blocking course. Architraved windows to S.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centre bay with steps and flanking dwarf walls leading to pilastered and pedimented doorcase with deep-set panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight, windows in flanking bays and regular fenestration at 1st floor. Slightly set-back flanking pavilions, each with window.
N ELEVATION: large stair window to centre above ground, datestone initialled 'DB' at eaves above; flanking slightly advanced bays with window to each floor. Piended, single storey office with door and window to outer left; single storey flat-roofed extension to outer right.
E ELEVATION: small window to centre at 1st floor with dominant wallhead stacks above.
W ELEVATION: large modern glass door to advanced pavilion; window to outer right close to eaves and dominant wallhead stack.
12- and 18-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows; modern uPVC glazing to sides and rear of single storey pavilions and to E at 1st floor. Grey slates. Grouped octagonal ashlar stacks with some cans.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: coped squared and random rubble boundary walls, and cavetto-corniced square-coped ashlar gatepiers.
Built for a son of the Earl of Rosslyn, Craignairn was formerly known as Ravenscraig House. It was for some time the Sinclairtown Bank which, in 1927, was converted to 3 houses for Mrs Todd. By 1930 either all or part of the house had become the home of Gregor MacGregor the first Fife Director of Education.
Other nearby listed buildings