This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1127 / 56°6'45"N
Longitude: -3.1597 / 3°9'35"W
OS Eastings: 327977
OS Northings: 691715
OS Grid: NT279917
Mapcode National: GBR 29.LXRS
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.FML8
Entry Name: 2 Townsend Place and Kirk Wynd
Listing Date: 28 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 381130
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB36361
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central
Traditional County: Fife
John Stevenson, mason, 1808, with additions to plans Mr Martin and James Elliott; doorpiece added 1839; E extension William Little, 1867; S wing added after 1881 (see Notes) dormers added 1899. 2-storey and attic, 6-bay, rectangular-plan manse with single storey offices to rear. Harled with painted margins and quoin strips. Base and eaves courses. Chamfered arrises and stone mullions.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 5 original symmetrical bays with Doric-columned doorcase in bay to centre, deep-set panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight, 2 windows to flanking bays and regular fenestration at 1st floor; 2 piended dormer windows above flanking 19th century rooflight. Slightly recessed bay to outer right with advanced, corniced bipartite window to ground and smaller bipartite above with block pediment breaking eaves.
N (TOWNSEND PLACE) ELEVATION: window to left at ground and 2 small windows in gablehead; single storey bay to outer left.
S ELEVATION: part-glazed door to left at ground.
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical elevation including 3 advanced, piended single storey bays to right.
4-, 12-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Coped rubble stacks to original building, coped ashlar stack to S wing, all with cans; thackstanes.
INTERIOR: plain cornices, etched glass screen door and timber balustered staircase with ball-finialled newels to original house. Ground floor room to S with decorative cornice and marble fireplace.
BOUNDARY WALLS: coped, coursed rubble boundary walls.
Still used as the manse for the Old Parish Church, the S wing was added during the ministry of Rev Campbell who took over this charge in 1881.
Other nearby listed buildings