History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hunter Street, Hunter Hospital with John Hunter Memorial, Gazebo, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls

A Category B Listed Building in Kirkcaldy, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1117 / 56°6'42"N

Longitude: -3.1606 / 3°9'38"W

OS Eastings: 327920

OS Northings: 691598

OS Grid: NT279915

Mapcode National: GBR 29.LXKQ

Mapcode Global: WH6RV.FN52

Entry Name: Hunter Street, Hunter Hospital with John Hunter Memorial, Gazebo, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 10 September 1979

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 381148

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB36375

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kirkcaldy

County: Fife

Town: Kirkcaldy

Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Kirkcaldy

Description

1786 with 1936 wings by Williamson and Hubbard. 2-storey and basement, 3-bay, piend and platform roofed, classical house with Roman Doric portico and lantern; converted to hospital 1936 with addition of lower 2-storey, 4-bay wings. Harled with ashlar doorcase and some polished ashlar margins. Ashlar base course, band and cill courses, cavetto eaves cornice and blocking course. Segmental-headed door; architraved windows to ground floor N. Voussoirs.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: wide centre bay with 3 steps up to semi- circular, timber-roofed portico with paired columns and engaged columns flanking panelled timber door with flanking screens and radial- astragalled fanlight below delicate decorative cornice; 3 windows to centre bay above with balustraded aprons projecting over portico. Windows to flanking bays at each floor, those to ground with balustrade and consoled cornice; access to basement and fire escape at right, modern full-height stack projecting at left. Lower wings adjoining and projecting to outer right and left.

S (HUNTER ST) ELEVATION: 3 windows to bowed centre bay and further windows to flanking bays at each floor including smaller windows in high basement; rooflight at centre.

W ELEVATION: 2 bays to right with windows to each floor, those at basement and ground altered. Tripartite window in projecting bay of wing to left.

E ELEVATION: mirrors above.

All windows blinded to look like 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with full complement of cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1996, but with top-lit spiral staircase, decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail. Stained glass windows flanking door, each with small figure. Oval room facing Hunter Street with curved fireplace and overmantel. Other rooms also oval.

JOHN HUNTER MEMORIAL: domed and finialled, square-section baldacchino style monument enclosing bust of John Hunter. Stepped plinth, Doric columns, moulded and keystoned arches with deep cornice and decorative finials at angles.

GAZEBO, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan, boarded timber, slated and finialled, piended gazebo with windows to N and S, and doorway with flanking lights to W. Semi-circular-coped rubble boundary walls. Chamfered ashlar piers (reduced) with stepped copes.

Statement of Interest

The Hunter Hospital closed in 1992, 56 years after its conversion at the bequest of John Hunter. Formerly known as St Brycedale House, it was built for George Heggie on glebe land purchased from the Parish Church in 1785. The names of Robert, John or James Adam have been suggested as architects. Provost Patrick Don Swan purchased the house in 1851 and gave some of his land to the dissenting congregation for building St Brycedale's Church. He laid out the gardens and built the conservatory/greenhouse, supposedly a copy of one at Panmure House, Forfarshire. Although the property was sold to John Hunter in 1886, Patrick Don Swan leased his old home until his death in 1889. John Hunter remained here until his death in 1916, and was buried in front of the house at his own request. John Hunter's will indicated clearly his wishes regarding the conversion of St Brycedale House to a 'hospital for aged and incurables' to be named 'The Hunter Hospital', he also requested that any extension be in keeping with the house. Not enough money was found to be available but with interest the conversion went ahead in 1935.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.