This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1066 / 56°6'23"N
Longitude: -3.1644 / 3°9'51"W
OS Eastings: 327675
OS Northings: 691038
OS Grid: NT276910
Mapcode National: GBR 29.M91G
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.CRCZ
Entry Name: 44 Nicol Street with Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 28 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 381163
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB36389
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central
Traditional County: Fife
Circa 1800. 2-storey and attic, 5-bay, rectangular-plan traditional house. Harled with stone cills. Base and eaves courses.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: corniced and pilastered doorpiece in bay to right of centre with deep-set panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight, window in bay to right and 2 further windows to left, segmental-headed pend arch to outer left; regular fenestration to 1st floor and 2 windows in broad nepus gable breaking eaves at centre.
W ELEVATION: 6-bay. Boarded timber door with plate glass fanlight off-centre left, 2 windows to left, window to right, further part- glazed door with plate glass fanlight beyond to right and pend arch to outer right. 6 windows to 1st floor (that in bay to left of centre larger); 2 windows above in gablehead breaking eaves and truncated wallhead stack to right.
4- and 12-pane patterns and plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows except large window to rear with fixed glazing. Grey slates. Coped gablehead stack with full complement of polygonal cans, ashlar- coped skews and cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: fine decorative plasterwork cornices and ceiling roses; lugged and architraved doorways with panelled timber doors. Staircase and landing with decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail; tall round-headed niche and oval skylight with decorative astragals. Black marble fireplace with keystone and scroll consoles to ground floor sitting room.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble boundary walls.
Until 1984 this building was connected with the adjacent Abbotshall Mill, built as a linen mill by James Aytoun, but converted in 1920 to George Halley's Dyeworks and, latterly, a cleaning business. It closed in 1984. The kitchen located to the rear of the building was used as a laboratory for dye experiments with a counter in the sitting room.
Mr Halley lived next door at No 46 (listed separately).
Other nearby listed buildings