This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1066 / 56°6'23"N
Longitude: -3.1646 / 3°9'52"W
OS Eastings: 327665
OS Northings: 691041
OS Grid: NT276910
Mapcode National: GBR 29.M90C
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.CR9Y
Entry Name: 46 Nicol Street, Newton House with Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 28 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 381164
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB36390
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central
Traditional County: Fife
1816. 2-storey, basement and attic, 5-bay, rectangular-plan classical house on ground falling to S. Painted ashlar and coursed rubble, rusticated and dressed ashlar quoins, stone cills. Mutuled cornice.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: winding steps to right of centre lead to basement door at centre: wide steps with flanking curved railings oversailing basement lead to slightly advanced centre bay with deep-set timber door, decorative-astragalled fanlight and flanking adjacent narrow lights all below fluted frieze and cavetto cornice, 2 windows each to right and left of centre; regular fenestration to 1st floor, centre bay with pediment breaking eaves.
W ELEVATION: basement door to centre with bipartite window to right; steps with flanking dwarf walls lead to blocked door at centre ground with small opening to right and windows in flanking bays, regular fenestration to 1st floor and piended, slate-hung, tripartite dormer windows over outer bays.
N ELEVATION: single storey, piend-roofed former stable (not included in this listing) to ground.
12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows; 4-pane glazing pattern to dormer windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with polygonal cans and ashlar-coped skews.
INTERIOR: decorative plasterwork cornicing and ceiling roses; architraved and dentilled doorways, and panelled shutters; marble, cast-iron and timber fireplaces. Screen door with decorative- astragalled fanlight, curving stair with cast-iron balusters and timber handrail.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: low, flat-coped ashlar walls to E; semi- circular-coped rubble boundary walls and pyramidal-coped gatepiers to N.
Built for the Methvens, owners of the Links pottery, Newton House was later the home of George Halley whose dyeworks was next door at No 44 (listed separately).
Other nearby listed buildings