History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Abbotshall Road, Raith Lodge and Gateway

A Category B Listed Building in Kirkcaldy, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.108 / 56°6'28"N

Longitude: -3.171 / 3°10'15"W

OS Eastings: 327270

OS Northings: 691199

OS Grid: NT272911

Mapcode National: GBR 29.M1KD

Mapcode Global: WH6RV.8Q8X

Entry Name: Abbotshall Road, Raith Lodge and Gateway

Listing Date: 28 January 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 381166

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB36392

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kirkcaldy

County: Fife

Town: Kirkcaldy

Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Kirkcaldy

Description

James Playfair, 1786. Single storey, slated bow-ended classical lodge house and gateway. Dressed ashlar with droved quoins. Base course, eaves cornice and blocking course. Round-headed door and voussoirs.

LODGE HOUSE:

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: entrance in recessed bay at centre; doorpiece in round-arched recess with panelled timber door and radial-astragalled fanlight.

SW AND NE: bowed with 3 windows (all blocked) over ashlar aprons.

NW ELEVATION: blocked to centre but pilasters remain.

GATEWAY AND GATES: ashlar gatepiers and coursed rubble screen walls with moulded ashlar coping and ashlar dressings.

SW ELEVATION: carriage entrance to centre with pyramidal-coped, square-section ashlar gatepiers and flanking walls; round-headed pedestrian arches with flanking engaged ashlar piers beyond and quadrant walls to outer angles with further ashlar piers. Semicircular-coped rubble walls extend to N and W (see Notes).

GATES: early 19th century, decorative wrought-iron gates to each opening.

Statement of Interest

Built as the principal entrance to Abbots Hall (demolished), the lodge house is now an electricity sub-station. Abbotshall became a separate parish in 1650, and is said to derive its name from the residence built here by an abbot of Dunfermline. James V signed two charters at Abbots Hall on 1st September, 1536. The estate and mansion were purchased by Sir Andrew Ramsay about the year 1650, and in 1725 became the property of Robert Ferguson of Raith. The wall which extends northwards along Abbotshall Road has an inset milestone.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.