This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.118 / 56°7'4"N
Longitude: -3.1509 / 3°9'3"W
OS Eastings: 328537
OS Northings: 692287
OS Grid: NT285922
Mapcode National: GBR 2B.LD32
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.KHS7
Entry Name: Pathhead, 6 the Path, Offices of East Bridge Flour Mills with Former Horsemill, Boundary Walls, Railings and East Burn Bridge
Listing Date: 28 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 381174
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB36398
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
1793. 2-storey with basement and attic, 3-bay classical office/house with later 19th century bridge wing. Ashlar with squared rubble to sides and rear, random rubble extension; ashlar long and short quoins, some droved. Ground floor cill course, mutuled eaves cornice, plain eaves cornice and blocking course to wing. Voussoired segmental- and round-headed openings, pediment, hoodmoulds, keystones and stone mullions.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: slightly advanced centre bay with steps up to deep-set panelled timber door, adjacent flanking small pane lights and sunburst-astragalled segmental fanlight; Roman Doric-columned Venetian windows in flanking bays; regular fenestration to 1st floor and centre pediment breaking eaves; 3-part timber dormer windows over outer bays and rooflight to centre. Bay to outer left with single storey bridge wing on cast-iron beams, segmental-headed tripartite window and clock in blocking course.
N ELEVATION: variety of elements including single storey extension projecting at ground and 2 windows to 1st floor.
W ELEVATION: small window to left in gablehead over wing, broad gablehead stack.
Small-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows, casement(?) windows to dormers. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks and ashlar-coped skews with scroll skewputts and thackstanes; cast-iron downpipes and decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: panelled soffits, dado rails, decorative plasterwork cornices and centres. Cantilevred stone stair; classically detailed timber, and cast-iron fireplaces.
FORMER HORSEMILL: harled and slated circular horsemill to W of office and incorporated into harled mill buildings to N. Steps down to timber door to NE with louvered opening beyond to right, window with small- pane glazing pattern to left and further louvered window to S.
BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS AND EAST BURN BRIDGE: semicircular- and flat-coped rubble boundary walls and decorative cast-iron railings. Single segmental-arched, ashlar and rubble, keystoned and voussoired bridge with small stone weir to SW of house below boundary wall.
According to Millar "The East Mill of Kirkcaldy was acquired by Magister Robert Richardson from the Commendator of Dunfermline in 1563" (p106), the present house was built in 1793 by the then distillery owner, Spiers. Some additions were made in 1879 (probably the west bridge wing) and in the 1940s Gillespie & Scott carried out drainage and bridge repairs among other works. East Bridge Mill is one of only three working commercial mills in Scotland.
Other nearby listed buildings