This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.121 / 56°7'15"N
Longitude: -3.1462 / 3°8'46"W
OS Eastings: 328834
OS Northings: 692616
OS Grid: NT288926
Mapcode National: GBR 2B.L745
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.ND0Y
Entry Name: Commercial Street and Bogies Wynd, Feuars Arms
Listing Date: 10 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 381177
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB36401
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
1859 conversion of former flour mill, rebuilt 1890; interior remodelled by William Williamson, 1902. Outstanding 2-storey and cellar, L-plan, Jacobean style multi-gabled public house on corner site retaining rare Art Nouveau interior with fine tiling, glazing and fittings. Red sandstone ashlar at ground with stugged, squared and snecked bull-faced rubble and contrasting red sandstone dressings above; harl to S and W. Base course, ground floor cornice, mutuled cornice to canted bay. Canted corner with roundheaded niche (see Notes) corbelled out to castellated tripartite oriel window; corbelled stack piercing gablehead; segmental dormer-windowheads; relief-carved panels. Timber transoms and mullions to bar windows.
Decorative coloured glass (see Interior) to principal ground floor windows; 8- and 12-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows to 1st floor. Grey slates. Cavetto-coped ashlar stacks with some cans, ashlar-coped skews; overhanging eaves; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: ground floor bar with outstanding well-detailed interior including notable ceramics in almost original condition. Decorative plasterwork cornices and ceiling rose. Single large bar with decoratively tiled walls in 'art furniture' manner including 2 single tile Doulton panels depicting a 'fool' and a 'shepherdess'; mosaic floor divided into bordered panels, and 2 internal porches with 'Feuars Arms'. Mahogany, U-plan bar counter 18 metres long fronted with brown tilework and plain ceramic tiles to inside; back gantry encloses semi-octagonal office with long case clock and coloured glass panels. Large windows have 'Studio' school glass with arms of Scotland, England and Ireland, flowers and stylized buildings; internal porches have engraved glass panels. Toilet cubicle with marble urinals and very rare glass-panelled Doulton's cistern. Cellar with flour hoist.
The Feuars Arms is a fine purpose-built public house which retains an outstanding interior. The tiled walls, floor and bar counter combine to create a luxurious decorative space complemented by coloured glass and lamps. The architect William Williamson set up his own practice in Kirkcaldy in 1895, and by 1905 was living at The Croft and practicing from 220 High Street, both in Kirkcaldy. His work is evident in many buildings throughout Kirkcaldy and Fife, including schools, churches, domestic and municipal buildings. The Police Buildings (listed separately) at Brycedale Avenue, which he designed in 1900 is another fine example of his work.
The first Feuars Arms was built on the site of a flour mill, and incorporated some of the early fabric of that building, in 1859. It was rebuilt in 1902 for Mr Andrew Stewart, and subsequently remodelled by William Williamson in 1902 to create the fine interior which remains today (2008). The name is thought to derive from the Society of Feuars who worked as feu collectors for the Oswald family. The Society provided money to convert a small former flour mill into a public house and meeting place. The roundheaded niche at the NE corner formerly housed a 'Bundy clock' used by the tramcar operators to check their journey schedules. A similar clock can be seen at 29 St Clair Street (listed separately).
The Bogies Wynd entrance, which is no longer used, formerly led to a screened off sales compartment.
List description updated as part of Public Houses Thematic Study 2007-8.
Category changed from B to A in June 2008.
Other nearby listed buildings