This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1224 / 56°7'20"N
Longitude: -3.1415 / 3°8'29"W
OS Eastings: 329130
OS Northings: 692770
OS Grid: NT291927
Mapcode National: GBR 2B.L85W
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.QC7V
Entry Name: Church Street and Harriet Street, Pathhead Parish Church (Church of Scotland) with Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 8 May 1975
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 381179
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB36403
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1822, rebuilt 1958 after fire. Rectangular-plan crowstepped Tudor Gothic church; 3-bay aisless nave with 3-stage, square tower to N. Harled with droved quoin strips and dressings. Deep ashlar base course and eaves course. Pointed-arch openings; corbelled bartizans, hoodmoulds and label-stops; chamfered reveals, stone transoms and mullions. Transomed stone Y-tracery.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Crowstepped gable with advanced tower (see below) to centre bay; tall hoodmoulded, transomed and mullioned traceried windows to flanking bays and hoodmoulded, 2-leaf panelled timber doors to outer bays.
TOWER: 1st stage of advanced N face with steps up to deeply moulded doorcase with hoodmould, label-stops and 2-leaf panelled timber door below hoodmoulded and dated plaque, hoodmoulded window above; E and W faces each with small pointed-arch niche below small window. String course giving way to 2nd stage with blind oculus to N, E and W; S face abacking gable. Further string course giving way to 3rd stage with hoodmoulded, square-headed, louvered bipartite openings to N, E and W; S elevation with 2 narrow, square-headed windows; corbelled, crenellated parapet above.
E (HARRIET STREET) ELEVATION: 3 hoodmoulded, transomed and mullioned, traceried windows, and small polygonal pepperpot bartizan with ogee corbel and trefoil-headed blind niche to each face at outer angles.
W ELEVATION: as E elevation.
S ELEVATION: lower chancel with raised centre tripartite window projecting at centre, 2 narrow windows high up in gablehead and bartizan as above at apex.
Margined, diamond-pattern, multi-pane leaded glazing; S memorial window see below. Grey slates.
INTERIOR: tower vestibule with ribbed vaulting and decorative plasterwork bosses; nave with fixed timber pews, gallery and boarded dado. Slightly narrower pointed-arch to raised chancel area with pipe organ and stained glass War Memorial window of the Ascension with flanking angels, Children's window to SW and Communion Window to SE (see Notes). Part-vaulted cellar/crypt with grave slabs.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low saddleback-coped rubble boundary walls and gatepiers.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. A Quoad Sacra Church from Dysart Parish, the foundation stone of the Old Parish Church was laid on 1st May, 1822 after considerable objection to the raising of a separate congregation; the Church Bell is also dated 1822 but the Church did not open for worship until 2nd November, 1823. After the Disruption the church became known as Pathhead East with the remainder of the congregation moving to the new West Church in St Clair Street. Described as 'The New Old Kirk', the present building was rebuilt after Pathhead East Church, was destroyed by fire on 15th November, 1953. The building was rededicated on 30th April, 1958 with the East and West Congregations reuniting. The Children's Window was donated in memory of two children who died in infancy, and the Communion Window given by the Sunday School. "The Pulpit and Communion Table came from St David's Church, Crail; the Organ, a second Communion Table and the font from Pathhead West Church, while the silver bowl inside the font belonged to Loughborough Church, as did the Communion Chair. The Lectern once stood in St Mary's Church, Dundee", PATHHEAD PARISH CHURCH.
Other nearby listed buildings