This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1272 / 56°7'37"N
Longitude: -3.1243 / 3°7'27"W
OS Eastings: 330209
OS Northings: 693287
OS Grid: NT302932
Mapcode National: GBR 2C.KS2B
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.Z8F5
Entry Name: Dysart, Townhead, Dysart Barony, with Graveyard and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 28 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 381210
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB36431
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
Alexander Laing, 1802. Hall (not included in this listing) and probably porch added 1932. Classical, aisless, rectangular-plan former church with gablehead urns. Droved ashlar with polished margins and quoin strips. Base course and moulded eaves cornice. Keystoned, round-headed openings, except to SW.
SE (TOWNHEAD) ELEVATION: 5-bay elevation with pilastered and pedimented doorcase to centre, 2-leaf panelled timber door and semicircular fanlight (blocked), large oculus above; tall windows to flanking bays and small ridge ventilator to centre.
SW (WINDMILL ROAD) ELEVATION: small polygonal porch projecting to centre bay with top of round-headed opening behind, blinded doorways to flanking bays, that to right with carved sandstone War Memorial commemorating both World Wars; quoin to outer left inscribed with 1809; 3 windows to gallery and louvered lunette in gablehead.
NW ELEVATION: mirrors SE elevation.
NE ELEVATION: 2 windows and lunette in gablehead. Small, cross-finialled gabled wing/vestry at ground, gable to NW with 2 windows and oculus in gablehead; later hall adjoining to SE.
All windows blocked. Grey slates. Ashlar-coped skews.
GRAVEYARD: 19th century classical stones, including variety of moulded pediments and obelisks. Classical stone (to E wall) of 1821 with fluted pilasters and cornice surmounted by scrolled pediment with small urn.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low ashlar-coped and rubble boundary walls.
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Originally Dysart Parish Church, the Barony seated 1600 people and was built at cost of between £1800 and £2000. 1932 additions by Walter Alison ARIBA, 27 Kirk Wynd, Kirkcaldy. After the congregation joined Dysart Kirk in 1972, the YMCA used it for a while but the building now (1997) stands empty.
Other nearby listed buildings