History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dysart, Townhead, Dysart Barony, with Graveyard and Boundary Walls

A Category B Listed Building in Kirkcaldy, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.1275 / 56°7'38"N

Longitude: -3.1251 / 3°7'30"W

OS Eastings: 330161

OS Northings: 693317

OS Grid: NT301933

Mapcode National: GBR 2B.KZVR

Mapcode Global: WH6RV.Z71Y

Entry Name: Dysart, Townhead, Dysart Barony, with Graveyard and Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 28 January 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 381211

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB36431

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kirkcaldy

County: Fife

Town: Kirkcaldy

Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in


Alexander Laing, 1802. Hall (not included in this listing) and probably porch added 1932. Classical, aisless, rectangular-plan former church with gablehead urns. Droved ashlar with polished margins and quoin strips. Base course and moulded eaves cornice. Keystoned, round-headed openings, except to SW.

SE (TOWNHEAD) ELEVATION: 5-bay elevation with pilastered and pedimented doorcase to centre, 2-leaf panelled timber door and semicircular fanlight (blocked), large oculus above; tall windows to flanking bays and small ridge ventilator to centre.

SW (WINDMILL ROAD) ELEVATION: small polygonal porch projecting to centre bay with top of round-headed opening behind, blinded doorways to flanking bays, that to right with carved sandstone War Memorial commemorating both World Wars; quoin to outer left inscribed with 1809; 3 windows to gallery and louvered lunette in gablehead.

NW ELEVATION: mirrors SE elevation.

NE ELEVATION: 2 windows and lunette in gablehead. Small, cross-finialled gabled wing/vestry at ground, gable to NW with 2 windows and oculus in gablehead; later hall adjoining to SE.

All windows blocked. Grey slates. Ashlar-coped skews.

GRAVEYARD: 19th century classical stones, including variety of moulded pediments and obelisks. Classical stone (to E wall) of 1821 with fluted pilasters and cornice surmounted by scrolled pediment with small urn.

BOUNDARY WALLS: low ashlar-coped and rubble boundary walls.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Originally Dysart Parish Church, the Barony seated 1600 people and was built at cost of between £1800 and £2000. 1932 additions by Walter Alison ARIBA, 27 Kirk Wynd, Kirkcaldy. After the congregation joined Dysart Kirk in 1972, the YMCA used it for a while but the building now (1997) stands empty.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.