This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1225 / 56°7'20"N
Longitude: -3.1427 / 3°8'33"W
OS Eastings: 329053
OS Northings: 692780
OS Grid: NT290927
Mapcode National: GBR 2B.L7WS
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.PCNS
Entry Name: 29 St Clair Street
Listing Date: 23 February 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 381229
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB36451
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
Early 19th century, ground floor openings altered later 19th century, renovated 1996. 2-storey, 5-bay former indigo mill with living accommodation above, in irregular terrace to S. Roughly courses sandstone rubble to ground, squared and coursed above; harled extension to rear. Stone margins, droved at ground.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded timber door to centre, 2 large windows to left with recessed wall-mounted 'Bundy Clock' (see Notes) beyond, and 2 smaller windows to right; 4 windows to 1st floor.
N ELEVATION: gabled elevation with large window to right and small window to left at ground.
W ELEVATION: bay to right of centre with stone stair to 1st floor door and piend-roofed extension with window on return to left abutting to right, small rubble extension to left below relieving arch.
12- and 16-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Modern pantiles with slate eaves easing course to E. Coped ashlar stacks with thackstanes, that to N with cans, and ashlar-coped skews.
Marked on the 1st OS as an indigo mill, presumably serving the dye works then situated in Church Street. Marks on the internal walls suggest the mill was horse-powered. The building appears to have been converted to a bakery in the early 20th century, with Park's Pie Shop occupying the ground floor for many years. The Bundy Clock (reinstated 1996) was used by the tram company to ensure tramcars ran on time.
Listed Category B in consideration of its rarity as a surviving industrial (rather than agricultural) horse-powered mill.
Other nearby listed buildings