This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7964 / 55°47'47"N
Longitude: -4.8689 / 4°52'7"W
OS Eastings: 220255
OS Northings: 659629
OS Grid: NS202596
Mapcode National: GBR 30.7XWG
Mapcode Global: WH2N1.5KRR
Entry Name: Gallowgate Street St Columba's Parish Church
Listing Date: 14 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 382183
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB37163
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: North Coast and Cumbraes
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Henry Steele and Andrew Balfour architects 1891-3.
Cruciform-plan 1st pointed Gothic church with hall to east
and tall 3-stage square tower with spire at north west
corner. Red snecked and stugged ashlar and polished
dressings. Tower with tall set-back buttresses to 1st and
2nd stage; pointed-headed hood-moulded door in north
elevation. Tall 2nd stage, with set-off, lancets high on
each face flanking gableted central pilaster strips. 3rd
stage has engaged, banded octagonal angle piers with
capping pinnacles, tall pointed-headed louvered belfry
openings, and clock on each face at base of spire below
gable. Faceted spire. Main entrance in west gable, with
pinnacled angle buttresses. Central gabled doorway with
nook shafts, under moulded, pointed arch and hood-mould;
flanking buttresses. Tall, triple, plate-traceried lights
above, with shafted jambs and moulded arches. Vescica in
gable head. 5 bay buttressed nave and aisles; paired
lancets with shafted jambs and hoodmoulds to aisle plate
-traceried clerestory windows.
Squat 2-stage octagonal tower with faceted roof at east
end of aisles, each with pointed-headed door. Large,
hoodmoulded pointed-headed transept windows with geometric
tracery above blind arcade, flanked by gableted and
pinnacled angle buttresses. Small central decorative fleche.
5-bay hall to east, orientated north south, with 5 paired
lancets to clerestory at east and aisle. Gabled porch in
north gable below triple lancets approached from west by
steps with pierced balustrade and square low terminal
piers. Small fleche. Slate roofs throughout.
Interior: nave, clustered columned aisle arcade. West and
transept galleries have panelled balcony fronts. Organ by
Willis of London. South transept window by Stephen Adam
(1892); north transept by Winfields (1891) and west window
by Cottier and Son, London (1891). Some later aisle windows
by Gordon Webster.
Ecclesiastical building in use.
Other nearby listed buildings