This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7979 / 55°47'52"N
Longitude: -4.8678 / 4°52'4"W
OS Eastings: 220328
OS Northings: 659792
OS Grid: NS203597
Mapcode National: GBR 30.7QG3
Mapcode Global: WH2N1.6J7L
Entry Name: Greenock Road Brooksby Convalescent Home and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 14 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 382185
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB37165
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: North Coast and Cumbraes
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Probably David and James Hamilton architects. Built circa
Classical house with symmetrical west elevation. Polished
ashlar with channelled and battered basement, windows with
architraves or margins, band course above basement and
ground floors, angle margins modillion cornice and blocking
course to all elevations. South entrance elevation: 2
storeys over basement. 3 bays, left bay deeply recessed
with modern, harled, square lift shaft in re-entrant angle
blocking original bipartite on west face. Central door,
approached by steps with modern hand rail; raised round
-headed fanlight. Projecting portico, entablature supported
on 2 square piers with angles chamfered near base and
capital; modillion cornice, and single 1st floor window
above. Basement windows advanced in outer bays. Ground
floor windows with pierced blind balustrade and cornice.
1st floor windows with blind balconies and shallow pediments
over cornice raised on pilaster strips. West elevation:
similarly detailed windows in outer bays, 3 central, taller
advanced bays, basement projects to give ground floor
terrace with parapet (originally supporting a verandah).
3 tall round-headed 8-pane sash windows to ground floor.
Corniced windows above. North elevation: single window and
tripartite in each floor; east elevation has low flat
-roofed central extension and a variety of window openings.
Grouped square stacks linked by cornices. Piended slate roof.
Interior: entrance hall with central Roman Doric screen
opening to stair well: corniced doors, and stair with
richly patterned, later 19th century cast-iron balustrade.
Ground floor rooms refitted in the latter 19th century;
coffered ceilings with egg and dart, bead and reel and
leaf and vine mouldings. Room to south west decorated with
grotesques and crests with names of literary figures.
Set behind low, polished ashlar boundary wall with squat
Rectangular walled garden enclosure to east.
Largs and Millport Weekly N<> 3, 7. 1897 describes house
being "built about 60 years ago" (ie circa 1837) "as a
yachting residence for Mr Matthew Perst a prominent Glasgow
merch ...", but it does not appe in the 1836-7 local directo
Opened as a nursing home 26.6,1897.
Other nearby listed buildings