This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2054 / 56°12'19"N
Longitude: -3.2003 / 3°12'0"W
OS Eastings: 325637
OS Northings: 702066
OS Grid: NO256020
Mapcode National: GBR 28.F0YR
Mapcode Global: WH6RF.T977
Entry Name: Greenside, Greenside House with Stables, Outbuildings and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 11 December 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 382340
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB37290
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Glenrothes North, Leslie and Markinch
Traditional County: Fife
1811 with rear extension soon after (same date as stables?), new dormer windows by James Gillespie and Scott, 1920. 2-storey with attic, 3-bay, T-plan former manse. Coursed whinstone with contrasting raised ashlar quoins, some droved, squared and snecked whinstone rubble to sides and rear, squared and snecked sandstone to rear extension; stone mullions and some relieving arches.
S (MAIN) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Deep-set panelled door at centre with decorative fanlight, in corniced, raised surround; windows in flanking bays and regular fenestration at 1st floor, slate-hung finialled dormers with smaller windows on returns over outer bays.
W ELEVATION: advanced gable to right with window at both floors slightly to left of centre, 1st floor with relieving arch; rear wing with narrow door to right of centre, plate glass fanlight, window to right by re-entrant angle at both floors and tripartite window to left at both floors, ground floor with relieving arch.
N ELEVATION: advanced gable at centre blank, recessed walls with windows to both floors, those at ground with relieving arches and partially blinded.
E ELEVATION: advanced gable to left blank, rear wing with window at ground left and window above, further 1st floor window at centre.
4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows except ground right to N elevation with 12-pane glazing pattern. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with cans, cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers and fixings.
FORMER STABLES AND OUTBUILDINGS: Robert Hutchison, 1836. Forming 3-sided stable courtyard to E of main building. Single storey, slated whinstone rubble, lean-to building adjoining N face of boundary wall abutting house at E, door with adjacent small window to right and corresponding door to S, garage door in advanced bay to left; ashlar skew at centre and coped ashlar stack to left. Boundary wall extends to E with door at centre and further lean-to building to outer left broken by door to W and further door with adjacent small window (henhouse opening) to S. 2-storey, 2-bay squared and snecked piend-roofed rubble building to NE of property; W elevation with door to right and window to left, 2 windows at 1st floor; S elevation with garage door adjoining single storey pantiled building with glazed door in garage opening and modern rooflight: further single storey pantiled building adjoining at S, garage opening at right with 2 doors to left and modern rooflight, coped ashlar skew to S gable end with 4 hole pigeon loft.
BOUNDARY WALLS: coped whinstone rubble boundary wall extending to S and N boundaries, abutting house on E elevation and at SW, gateway under stone lintel close to house: pal stone at NE corner of rear wing with large standing stone nearby to S.
THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT gives the date 1811 for the Manse. Gifford tells us that the stables were added by Robert Hutchison in 1836.
Other nearby listed buildings