This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2026 / 56°12'9"N
Longitude: -3.2095 / 3°12'34"W
OS Eastings: 325056
OS Northings: 701767
OS Grid: NO250017
Mapcode National: GBR 27.FBWG
Mapcode Global: WH6RF.NCVC
Entry Name: 242 and 248 High Street with Boundary Wall, Railings and Outbuilding (Former House) to Rear
Listing Date: 22 December 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 382373
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB37316
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Glenrothes North, Leslie and Markinch
Traditional County: Fife
Earlier to mid 19th century. Single storey with part-basement and attic, 3-bay cottage on falling ground to W, adjoining irregular terrace at W. Squared and coursed Aberdeen Bond whinstone with contrasting finely droved ashlar long and shortwork quoins and eaves course; snecked rubble to E and S.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Deep-set panelled door at centre with 2-pane fanlight, with windows in flanking bays, tile-hung piended dormers over outer bays, 2 narrow windows in basement to right.
E ELEVATION: small window opening in gablehead.
S ELEVATION: door to right of centre with window at outer right, 3 windows to left; 2-bay part-basement with door to right and window to left.
12-pane glazing pattern in uPVC windows with small-pane glazing in sash and case windows to rear and in front basement. Red pantiles with ashlar coped skews and cavetto coped gablehead stacks.
RAILINGS: decorated ironwork railings to front with pal stones at E corner and at house. Coped whinstone rubble wall to rear E.
OUTBUILDING: to rear of property, 18th century, doubled in size in earlier to mid 19th century (contemporary with street front house). 2-storey on falling ground with part-basement to N, irregular plan with pend. Random whinstone rubble with large lintels and small window openings. Red pantiles, ashlar skews and coped ashlar gablehead stacks, ashlar and brick stack to S.
Outbuilding of particular interest, good survival of urban vernacular. The land originally belonged to the Bingartree House estate, and the outbuilding served as 3 dwellings, presumably 244 and 246, until condemned in 1959. A piece of wood built into a cupboard of the new house bears the writing "George Gibson 1854", this gentleman being the owner at the time.
Other nearby listed buildings