This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2003 / 56°12'0"N
Longitude: -3.2155 / 3°12'55"W
OS Eastings: 324685
OS Northings: 701514
OS Grid: NO246015
Mapcode National: GBR 27.F9LD
Mapcode Global: WH6RF.LF15
Entry Name: High Street, Trinity Parish Church with Boundary Walls, Piers and Railings
Listing Date: 22 December 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 382389
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB37330
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Glenrothes North, Leslie and Markinch
Traditional County: Fife
Henry Archibald, 1860. Box church with Jacobean derivative shaped gable and pointed towers screening roof pitch, spired octagonal bellcote and quasi-Serliana window, 3-bay aisless nave and 3-bay Church Hall with extension. Droved ashlar with polished surrounds and squared and snecked whinstone with long and short work quoins to Church Hall, base course, eaves course, continuous hoodmould at ground S, hoodmoulds with label stops, stone mullions, chamfered arrises and corners, and arched cornice abutting corbelled bellcote base. Panelled doors. Quasi buckle-quoin detail to oculi.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: round-headed door at centre with hoodmould and block label-stops, windows in flanking bays all under continuous hoodmould. Serliana-effect window with triple-loop traceried arch, hoodmould and label-stops. Depressed arch corbel course across centre giving way to base of polygonal stone bellcote with blind oculus, bellcote with pointed arch timber louvred openings below octagonal spire with ball and pointed finial. Identical narrow flanking tower bays with oculus below continuous hoodmould, narrow window above with hoodmould and label-stops; stepped and finialled gable with blind oculus.
E ELEVATION: 3-bay nave with round-headed windows, window to right with monogram in shaped gablet breaking eaves with modern stack at apex, flanked by cast-iron downpipes stepped by base course. Slightly recessed, lower 4-bay hall to left with round-arched windows and blinded door to right; outer left small flat-roofed modern extension with projecting porch.
W ELEVATION: 3-bay nave with round-headed windows; hall set back with piend-roofed porch extension to left with door and window to W and further window to S, 3 round-arched windows to right and 2 windows in extension to outer right.
S ELEVATION: blinded round-headed window to left of centre, roof pitch of hall to right, blinded roundel in gable; centre round-headed window in hall.
Diamond-pattern leaded glazing to all church windows, 3-pane vertical glazing pattern in hall, plate glass elsewhere. Grey slates, alternate blocks of fishscale slates to spire, ashlar coped stepped skews, moulded skewputts and stacks, cast-iron downpipes and rainwater hoppers with date '1860'.
INTERIOR: horseshoe galleried. Wall dividing hall removed, providing 'chancel' extension. Boarded dado with panelled doors, simple pew benches, simply carved pulpit, altar and lectern with further pews behind. 3-sided partially curved gallery, panelled with roundel motif (clock in roundel to left of centre), cast-iron columns and timber brackets. Hall with open beam roof, chevron boarded with corbelled wall posts and curved braces.
BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: low rendered wall with railings, gates and ball finialled painted gatepiers to N, coped rubble boundary walls to S, E and W.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Westwood comments upon the two United Presbyterian churches of Leslie as "both new and elegant", one being that on the site next to St Mary's R C Church, the other being Trinity Church. In 1860 Trinity was known as the West United Presbyterian Church, built for the congregation of the 1744 Anti-Burgher Kirk where they worshipped until this date. The name changed in 1900 to the United Free Church, becoming Trinity Church in 1956 with the amalgamation of West Church (this building), Logan-Martin and Prinlaws.
Other nearby listed buildings