History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lochgelly, Bank Street, Chapel Street Co-Op

A Category B Listed Building in Lochgelly, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1281 / 56°7'41"N

Longitude: -3.3091 / 3°18'32"W

OS Eastings: 318720

OS Northings: 693590

OS Grid: NT187935

Mapcode National: GBR 24.KSN2

Mapcode Global: WH6RS.47HG

Entry Name: Lochgelly, Bank Street, Chapel Street Co-Op

Listing Date: 25 March 1992

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 382618

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB37511

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Lochgelly

County: Fife

Town: Lochgelly

Electoral Ward: Lochgelly, Cardenden and Benarty

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Cowdenbeath

Description

Original Bank Street block dated 1901; extended with corner and Chapel Street block in identical Edwardian Baroque style, 1909-1910. Prominent corner site. 2-storey; modern shopfronts at ground; slim circular clock tower at angle. 3-light mullion and transom windows breaking wallhead with sculptured and keyblocked pediments, alternating with single and bipartite windows; plate-glass glazing pattern. Ashlar fronted; cill course at 1st. Slated roof.

BANK STRET ELEVATION: 1st floor: advanced off-centre 5-window bay with clasping rusticated pilasters, centre window in elaborate Baroque aedicule with attached, half-rusticated order, heavily swagged apron panel below; semicircular open-pediment and multiple keyblock set against stepped block parapet above. Small cupola with peristyle of timber columns and leaded dome on ridge of roof behind. To right, 4 symmetrical bays: pair 3-light mullion and transom windows flanking sculptured panel, bipartites to outer bays. To left, 2 3-light mullion and transom windows flanking centre bipartite. CLOCK TOWER: 3-stage, single windows at 1st floor, with curved plate glass glazing and Gibbs surrounds; 3 clock faces above under open pediments with keyblocked, eleaborately sculptured projecting apron panels below; 2-tier wallhead cornice, leaded dome with paristyled cupola and elaborate wrought-iron weather-vane finial.

Plainer harled bays to Chapel Street with single windows and wallhead stacks.

Interior not seen (1991).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.