This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1273 / 56°7'38"N
Longitude: -3.3079 / 3°18'28"W
OS Eastings: 318795
OS Northings: 693497
OS Grid: NT187934
Mapcode National: GBR 24.KSYD
Mapcode Global: WH6RS.5823
Entry Name: Lochgelly, Hall Street, Town House
Listing Date: 25 March 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 382619
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB37512
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Lochgelly, Cardenden and Benarty
Traditional County: Fife
1909, T Hislop Ure (inscribed and dated on wall plaque in vestibule; see NOTES). 2-storey, L-plan on corner site; free Wrenaissance detail; circular turret corbelled out at 1st floor over polygonal ground floor angle, breaking eaves into panelled drum, ogee leaded roof with wrought-iron apex finial. Stugged and snecked cream sandstone rubble to 2 principal elevations, polished ashlar dressings; harled subsidiary elevations. Shallow pitch slated roof; W gable stack.
Multi-pane sash and case glazing, 4-pane upper, 6-pane lower sashes.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4 asymmetrical bays; base course, eaves cornice and blocking course, rising as stepped, gable behind pedimented entrance bay. Off-centre entrance in slightly advanced 3rd bay, with deep cavetto-channelled ashlar doorpiece; above doorpiece clasping pilasters with recessed an decorated panels, cartouche at apron panel over doorpiece, bipartite at 1st floor, clock set in pediment above. Single light window to right, single window and bipartite (outer) to left at ground and 1st floors.
Windows in simple keyblocked architraves with apron panels, those at ground with segmental hoodmoulds over voussoirs, those at 1st floor with corniced cills.
E ELEVATION: 4 bays, alternating single and bipartite windows in same architraves as S elevation. Bay 2 slightly advanced, with semi-circular pediment, stepped blocked gable-head behind as at S.
REAR ELEVATIONS: plain harled with margined openings.
INTERIOR: council chambers at 1st retains much of original decorative scheme: 3/4-height corniced panelling (paper covering in imitation oack at present, 1991), with consoled and pedimented doorcases; centre bays on E and W walls set in pilastered architraves with semi-circular pediments with heraldic painted decoration, blocked fireplaces below, lugged picture panel at centre; elaborate cornice, coved, panelled and compartmentalised ceiling. Table and chairs also original; 3-panel shutters.
Recently stone-cleaned (1991).
Other nearby listed buildings