History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kirk Brae, St Drostan's Parish Church Graveyard with Boundary Walls Gates and Railings

A Category B Listed Building in Markinch, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.205 / 56°12'17"N

Longitude: -3.134 / 3°8'2"W

OS Eastings: 329748

OS Northings: 701955

OS Grid: NO297019

Mapcode National: GBR 2B.F3VL

Mapcode Global: WH6RG.T9TJ

Entry Name: Kirk Brae, St Drostan's Parish Church Graveyard with Boundary Walls Gates and Railings

Listing Date: 24 November 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 382786

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB37645

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Markinch

County: Fife

Town: Markinch

Electoral Ward: Glenrothes North, Leslie and Markinch

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Markinch

Description

Early origin, extended under supervision of Niel Ballingal 1803-5, separate cemetery at Northall opened 1853. Situated to S of church on steeply falling ground, with narrower areas to remaining sides.

Early headstones badly eroded, carved 18th century stones to S. Predominance of sarcophagus/table stones, many severely weathered; and plain obelisks. Particularly fine examples include: small curvilinear headstone erected 1800 commemorating Cecilia Smith and George Smith her father.

2 pedimented, curvilinear-headed upright stones to W: 1833 memorial to Alexander Forrett with cable moulding; and draped urn with classical details and fine lettering on stone erected by George Brown for his father (died 1817) and mother (died 1796).

1850 memorial to Alex Thomson (SW); inscribed upright slab with ribbon moulding and arched foliage flanked by elongated floreate scrolls supporting pediment with dentilled cornice and dated tympanum.

Dr Sievewright's Memorial, chamfered plinth with inscribed square pier surmounted by large urn stands.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES AND RAILINGS: high ashlar coped rubble retaining wall, small niche with stone cup to SE and SW. Decorative cast-iron gates and modern railings.

Statement of Interest

Cottages had abutted the churchyard walls on N, S and W since medieval times, but were finally cleared away in the 1930's; a 1765 sketch plan of Markinch shows these habitations encompassing 'God's Acre'.

Dr Sievewright who died 1852 (memorial detailed above) was Moderator of the Free Church General Assembly 1847, minister of St Drostan's 1818-1843 and of Brunton Free Church 1843-1852; he also wrote the 2nd Statistical Account of Markinch Parish.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.