This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.771 / 55°46'15"N
Longitude: -3.9861 / 3°59'10"W
OS Eastings: 275501
OS Northings: 654864
OS Grid: NS755548
Mapcode National: GBR 01LQ.T2
Mapcode Global: WH4QX.R61P
Entry Name: Motherwell, Dalzell Park, Hamilton of Dalzell Mausoleum and St Patrick's Graveyard Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 24 October 1978
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 383441
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB38239
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Town: Motherwell And Wishaw
Electoral Ward: Motherwell South East and Ravenscraig
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
MAUSOLEUM: early 19th century. single storey, gabled, rectangular-plan, squared and droved sandstone. Cavetto moulded eaves course; rusticated quoins; narrow ventilation slits. NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: lugged, moulded architrave to central doorway with yett; flanking slits; rectangular, moulded framed panel, red sandstone, to apex of gable bearing Hamilton of Dalzell arms. SW (REAR) ELEVATION: blind cinquefoil to centre. SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3-bay, slits to 2nd and 3rd bay. NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: mirror of SE. Slates stripped since date of listing exposing large slab stones; narrow skews.
INTERIOR: stone barrel-vault, SW, rear wall re-modelled in later 19th century in Romanesque style; ovolo, billet and chevron moulded framing arch supported on paired engaged columns, stiff-leaf capitals. Dado height, moulded semicircular arched, blind arcade to rear wall and 1st bay of side walls, engaged columns with scalloped capitals; 3 polychrome mosaic memorial panels to left bays of rear arcading; inscriptions to lower parts, foliate patterns in style of Owen Jones to upper parts. Blind cavetto moulded cinquefoil to tympanum.
CHURCHYARD: mediaeval site of St. Patrick's Church. Levelled rectangular site. Numerous legible gravestones from 1707 to early 20th century, majority 1820-1900.
BOUNDARY WALL: Early 19th century. Squared and droved coped sandstone courser; segmentally-arched carriage entrance to NW corner. Brick wall to Hamilton of Dalzell family enclosure to NE corner within overall boundary.
The site of St Patrick's Kirk demolished in 1798, the Hamilton of Dalzell mausoleum being built soon after from the stone. The gravestone of the Rev James Classon is said to mark the location of the altar. Situated close to the Clyde, the site is reached by the "White Walk", named after early marker stones, a straight road down hill terminating at the graveyard, now called Manse Rd. The Old Dalzell Manse is situated half way down the road on the right (see separate listing). The entrance gate to the walled graveyard is immediately off this road. The Hamilton mausoleum stands within its own square enclosure in the NE corner of the graveyard, walled off from the rest of the graveyard with a private entrance from the grounds of Dalzell House. Within the private Hamilton enclosure, but outwith the mausoleum, are the matching cast-iron gravestones of the last Hamiltons of Dalzell, Lord Gavin George Hamilton (d 1952) and Lady Sybil Mary Hamilton, (d 1933). The estate was sold on the death of Lord Hamilton in 1952 and the family moved to Snowdenham House, Surrey.
Other nearby listed buildings