This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7715 / 55°46'17"N
Longitude: -3.9856 / 3°59'8"W
OS Eastings: 275534
OS Northings: 654917
OS Grid: NS755549
Mapcode National: GBR 01LP.XX
Mapcode Global: WH4QX.R689
Entry Name: Motherwell,dalzell Park, Gazebo
Listing Date: 24 October 1978
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 383442
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB38240
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Town: Motherwell And Wishaw
Electoral Ward: Motherwell South East and Ravenscraig
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
1933-39. Octagonal, distyle in antis classical gazebo. Yellow sandstone ashlar on squared and snecked rubble plinth. SE facing. Plain dado and entablature. 3 open faces, 2 plain Doric columns to front, walled faces to sides and rear. Stone flagged floor.
Set upon a small terrace cut into a steep SE facing slope of a landscaped and wooded gully and reached by stone steps leading up from the river at the foot of the Dalzell Burn gully. The gazebo is set within an overall landscape design scheme within the gully formerly included several channelled burns with small stone bridges across and a pyramidal wellhead (see separate listing). A local man, Andrew Cassells landscaped the gardens, during the RW Billings era at Dalzell House, 1850 to 60. The gazebo was, however, a much later addition built by Lord Gavin George Hamilton of Dalzell after the death of his wife, Lady Sybil Mary, in 1933. The architrave above the entrance to the gazebo was originally inscribed "in memory of 33 Happy Years". Lord Hamilton spent much of his time after her death reading in the gazebo, which was located so as to overlook the family mausoleum (see separate listing) and Lady Sybil's grave. The stripped classicism of the columns and oversize capitals suggest the influence of Lutyen's Imperial style. The gazebo was originally roofed over, wood panelled inside and fitted with a bench or settle. Probably the last structure to be built on the Dalzell estate by the Hamiltons who after some four centuries moved to Snowdenham House, Surrey in 1952. The first OS survey of 1859 shows a summerhouse on the estate which was later called the Gladstone House, following his visit in 1879. This building no longer exists and has been confused with the octagonal gazebo. However, the 1st edition OS map shows this building to have been in a clearing much closer to the house
Other nearby listed buildings