This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.6515 / 55°39'5"N
Longitude: -3.1978 / 3°11'52"W
OS Eastings: 324721
OS Northings: 640424
OS Grid: NT247404
Mapcode National: GBR 6332.GX
Mapcode Global: WH6V4.V6DT
Entry Name: Old Town, Hay Lodge, with Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 1 March 1978
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 384861
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB39245
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale West
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
Circa 1770, with early 19th century additions. Large 2-storey basement and attic L-plan villa built on ground falling to S. Harled with cream sandstone ashlar dressings. Raised margins, quoins strips, moulded eaves; Mansard roof with segmental-headed timber dormers; shorter windows at 1st floor.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 5-bay with half-sunk basement; regular fenestration. 3 symmetrical bays to right; at centre, steps with flat arch oversailing basement area to panelled door; 4-pane rectangular fanlight; consoled cornice; pair of dormers. 2 later right bays slightly advanced with blocking course and single dormer.
S ELEVATION: 3 full storeys and attic. 3-bay full height bow to left with single central window to basement, 3 windows to each upper floor; flat roof; bipartite dormer. 2 irregular bays set back to right with extended wallhead.
E ELEVATION: 3 full storeys and attic. 4 irregular bays set back to left; right bay with door at ground, windows above and dormer; centre right and left bay with windows to all floors (blind at ground to left); centre left bay with window to basement only and wallhead stack. Projecting 2-storey 2-bay gable to right with window at ground to left and windows to both floors to right; applied later flue for boilerhouse at centre.
N ELEVATION: mostly blank 4-bay rear elevation. Basement with small door and blocked window. At ground, steps oversailing basement area to service door at centre left. Centre right bay with windows at ground and 1st floor, and wallhead stack. Dormers to other bays (centre left dormer abutts stack).
12-pane timber sash and case windows; 4-pane to dormers. Purple-grey slates with leaded platform; ashlar coped skews to E; stacks with ashlar dressings and cornice (largely rebuilt with brick to E).
INTERIOR: narrow hall with cantilever stair at end; egg and dart cornice and foliate ceiling rose; turned mahogany balusters and rail (partly boxed in). Bow Drawing Room to S with dado panelling and chair rail with Vitruvian scroll; elaborate dentilled cornice; neo-classical timber chimneypiece with slender flanking consoles frames Carrara ? marble fire surround with egg and dart white marble fillet; 6-panel door framed by spectacular doorpiece -acanthus leaf consoles with carved fruit panels falling from them support florid neo-classical frieze of urns, swags and flowers and swan-necked pediment similarly embellished with a basket of flowers on central pedestal. Former Dining Room to N with dado panelling and cornice; basket-arched recess (now containing built in press) and plain fluted timber chimneypiece
with grey marble fillet.
BOUNDARY WALLS: extensive rubble boundary walls with ashlar coping, partly harled; single square gatepier survives to road. At NE corner blind round-headed window with keystone and imposts, and horizontal blind vesica above; also small store entered from S. Carriage arch at SE corner.
Apparently built by Capt Adam Hay of Soonhope in 1771, but there is evidence of earlier masonry inside. The N range was presumably added in the early 19th century. Now staff quarters for the Hay Lodge Clinic (hospital) built in the grounds and opened in 1983. The building at the NE corner of the boundary walls may have been an 18th century municipal well or pump house. Note the former stables to the N of the road (see separate listing).
Other nearby listed buildings