This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6515 / 55°39'5"N
Longitude: -3.1994 / 3°11'57"W
OS Eastings: 324624
OS Northings: 640424
OS Grid: NT246404
Mapcode National: GBR 6332.4X
Mapcode Global: WH6V4.T6PV
Entry Name: Rosetta Road, Kingsland Primary School, with Janitor's House, Boundary Walls, Shelters, Gatepiers and Railings
Listing Date: 29 March 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 384873
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB39255
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale West
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
Robert Wilson, 1900; additions of 1965, and substantial refurbishment, 1973. 2-storey 11-bay gabled L-plan school, and accompanying 2-storey lodge at S corner of site, with occasional Queen Anne detailing and square domed cupola bellcote. Squared and snecked bull-faced sandstone with polished ashlar dressings; roll-moulded arrises, deeply chamfered
cills. Chamfered arrises; ashlar mullions.
SCHOOL: regular fenestration; 1st floor windows hard under eaves. Later single storey flat-roofed link to NW leads to later single storey L-plan block.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 11 symmetrical bays; deep base course. Slightly projecting 3-bay gable at centre with bipartite central windows; arched cornice above 1st floor window with date 1900 carved beneath. Flanked to either side by 3 bays grouped together, with bipartite windows at centre, at 1st floor bipartite windows breaking eaves with open segmental pedimented dormerheads, that to left containing thistle, rose to right. Outer bays with open pedimented window at ground.
SE ELEVATION: pair of irregular 3-bay gables to left with further set back gable to right; re-entrant angle filled by later single storey 2-bay gabled block. Left gable with 3 windows grouped to right at ground and 1st floors. Centre gable with steps to door at left with Gibbsian surround and cornice; 2 windows to right and louvred opening to basement; at 1st floor, large tripartite stair window above door with window to right; keystoned oculus in gablehead. Set back gable with window to left at 1st floor.
NE ELEVATION: 6-bay central block with projecting 3-bay gable to right and blank range set back to left with long box dormer; single storey modern block in re-entrant angle with 2 small windows and projecting entrance. Central block with 2 1st floor windows at centre breaking eaves with tall segmental-headed dormerhead with finialled skewputts; right bay with steps to door at ground.
NW ELEVATION: pair of irregular 3-bay gables to right with further 2 bays to left. Right gable with 3 windows grouped to left at ground and 1st floors. Left gable obscured by later single link block at ground; at 1st floor, large tripartite stair window to right with window to left; keystoned oculus in gablehead.
Timber sash and case multi-pane windows. Grey slates, ashlar coped eaves and skewputts; glazed roof to attic studios.
INTERIOR: not seen 1994. Former full height top-lit central hall, with open trussed roof and galleries around, was floored over in 1973.
JANITOR'S HOUSE: deep base course.
W (ROAD) ELEVATION: single bay gable with bipartite windows to both floors, that to 1st floor with arched cornice; pedestal and ball finials at corners. To right, single storey dry-dash extension with bipartite window.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay; later gabled timber porch at centre with window to front and door to right return; original open pediment above supporting small bipartite window hard under eaves; windows at ground to right and left (narrower).
E ELEVATION: gabled; large and small windows at ground, centre window at 1st floor.
S ELEVATION: blank; wall stack at centre; extension at ground.
uPVC windows; ashlar coped skews and skewputts; grey slates; corniced stack with ashlar dressings.
BOUNDARY WALL, SHELTERS, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: low boundary wall with saddleback ashlar coping and modern iron railings; octagonal gatepiers with chamfered tops. Piend-roofed single storey open shelters with cast-iron columns abutting playground walls to NW and SE.
The school was designed for 600 pupils and cost ?12,000 to build. It was opened in 1901. In 1973 it was used as a model for the refurbishment of old primary schools for contemporary use; the cost was ?90,000.
Other nearby listed buildings