This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.6531 / 55°39'11"N
Longitude: -3.1987 / 3°11'55"W
OS Eastings: 324669
OS Northings: 640603
OS Grid: NT246406
Mapcode National: GBR 6332.9C
Mapcode Global: WH6V4.T5ZL
Entry Name: St Andrews Road, Cemetery Lodge with Boundary Wall and Gates
Listing Date: 29 March 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 384884
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB39264
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale West
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
Circa 1880 with later extensions. Single storey 4-bay lodge to
St Andrew's Cemetery. Whinstone with red sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course; windows with ashlar mullions and transoms; chamfered arrises. Overhanging eaves with exposed rafters; bargeboards and cross-braces.
S (FRONT) ELEVATION: gabled left bay with window at ground and blind square panel in gablehead. Projecting gabled porch overlaid to right with shouldered boarded door and separate semi-circular fanlight. 2 broadly spaced right bays; windows just breaking eaves with catslide roofs.
W (CEMETERY) ELEVATION: blank gable to right with blind hoodmoulded panel; blind bay slightly set back to left with catslide roof and double gates attached.
N ELEVATION: dry-dashed with flat-roofed extension at centre.
E ELEVATION: lined render with blind panel at centre.
Timber sash and case plate glass windows. Grey slates; 3 corniced ashlar apex stacks (polygonal to E).
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATES: rubble wall with semi-circular coping to N; 2-leaf boarded gates to W (see above).
The E bay seems to have been added not long after the lodge was built. B Group with remains of St Andrew's church, and cemetery (see separate listings).
Other nearby listed buildings