History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

High Street, Old Well (Cowan Well)

A Category B Listed Building in Penicuik, Midlothian

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8262 / 55°49'34"N

Longitude: -3.2221 / 3°13'19"W

OS Eastings: 323535

OS Northings: 659890

OS Grid: NT235598

Mapcode National: GBR 51Y2.69

Mapcode Global: WH6T5.GTWG

Entry Name: High Street, Old Well (Cowan Well)

Listing Date: 4 February 1993

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 384928

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB39299

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Penicuik

County: Midlothian

Town: Penicuik

Electoral Ward: Penicuik

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Penicuik

Description

J A Bell, erected 1864. Polished ashlar sandstone octagonal well head, with ogee cap and amphora finial; flanked by curved dwarf walls with coped terminals, terminal to NE with cope missing, terminal to SW surmounted by decorative cast-iron lamp standard.

WELL: slightly advanced tooled stone panel centred in street face of octagonal base, inscribed 'The Gift of Alexr. Cowan. 1864' incorporating square metal panel and metal well tap, with advanced basin with roll-moulded coped rim centred below. Flanking sides with part-infilled arched recesses at ground for watering dogs. Ogee cap extended to form cornice, arched over street face of octagon, with scallop shell centred in arch head. Cast-iron plaque to rear face, inset with inscription recording construction of the well and its predecessor, reading, 'The old well was built on this site in 1809 by D and A Cowan who also put up the public cart weights near this at the same time. This new well designed by J A Bell architect was erected in 1864 for the water of the old spring and for the water from Sillerburn... ...at the expense and by the desire of the late Alexander Cowan'.

Statement of Interest

Replacing a wellhead of 1809, the old well was superseded by piped water from Sillerburn. Also known as Cowan Well, as it was built at the expense of the late papermaker Alexander Cowan of Valleyfield. The well sits to the SW of the terrace on which the north side of the High Street is built upon.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.