This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3951 / 56°23'42"N
Longitude: -3.4326 / 3°25'57"W
OS Eastings: 311662
OS Northings: 723455
OS Grid: NO116234
Mapcode National: GBR 1Z.12SD
Mapcode Global: WH6QC.7JNB
Entry Name: 170-178 (Even Nos) South Street, Former Wesleyan Chapel
Listing Date: 26 August 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 384946
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB39316
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Perth City Centre
Traditional County: Perthshire
1814-16. 3-storey, 5-bay former Wesleyan Chapel with later shops to ground, dominated by 4 multi-pane glazed openings to 1st floor and 4 gothic windows to 2nd floor. Harled rubble with raised margins. 3 stair windows to far right bay. Central pend to ground floor leading to rear elevation courtyard with later staired platts serving flats at upper storeys. Irregular non-traditional openings to rear.
Predominantly multi-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows excepting pointed Gothic openings (principal elevation). Slated roof. Cast-iron ventilators. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: Row of three tapered Tuscan columns supporting vestige of former raked gallery above (now floored over).
This is a good example of a former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel and meeting hall. The building follows the line of the exiting street pattern with the pointed-arch fenestration standing out amid the predominantly commercial urban fabric. It has undergone a number of changes in more recent times though its principal street-facing character broadly remains with Gothic windows at 2nd floor and large 1st floor windows contributing positively to the wider streetscape. The 1st floor interior hall space retains its slender columns supporting the vestiges of the former raked gallery above, retaining a sense of its ecclesiastic former purpose.
The Kirkwood map of 1805 shows a walled gateway fronting a tabernacle which was one of the few buildings set back from South Street at that time. The Wesleyan Church was built on the site of the gateway following the demolition of the tabernacle circa 1810. The New Statistical Account of Scotland notes that a congregation of Wesleyan Methodists was formed in Perth and a place of worship was purchased in 1814 and rebuilt the following year.
The rear elevation was formerly stuccoed with 2 large gothic windows flanked by 2 smaller ones (all removed when converted to commercial use at 1st floor and flats at 2nd floor during 1980s). The former Baptist Chapel of 1830, diagonally opposite at No 151-157 South Street, also has three Gothic windows at the 1st floor, mirroring the style here.
Change of Category from B to C(S) and list description updated at resurvey (2009).
Other nearby listed buildings