History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

3 and 4 Graham's Place, King Street, Including Boundary Walls

A Category B Listed Building in Perth, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.394 / 56°23'38"N

Longitude: -3.4338 / 3°26'1"W

OS Eastings: 311588

OS Northings: 723342

OS Grid: NO115233

Mapcode National: GBR 1Z.12K2

Mapcode Global: WH6QC.7K33

Entry Name: 3 and 4 Graham's Place, King Street, Including Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 26 August 1977

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 385188

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB39507

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Perth

County: Perth and Kinross

Town: Perth

Electoral Ward: Perth City Centre

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Perth

Description

Circa 1840. Pair of 2-storey and attic semi-detached Classical houses, forming 4-bay block with 2-storey wings to rear (E), forming T-plan. Ashlar with channelled rustication to ground; coursed rubble to rear. Base course, band course, eaves cornice, blocking course. Upper storey windows with moulded, lugged architraves. Later pair of pilastered and segmental-pedimented dormers.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: central paired Doric portico with 2 pairs of columns; entablature with cartouches to centre and sides. 4-panel timber entrance doors with rectangular fanlights above with geometric glazing pattern.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows with horns to No 3; plate glass timber sash and case windows with horns to No 4. Grey slates. Stepped skews. Gablehead stacks.

INTERIOR: (No 3 seen, 2009). Original room plan largely extant. Curved staircase with decorative metal balusters and timber handrail. Fine decorative plasterwork to main rooms and hall. Some Classical fire surrounds. 4-panel timber interior doors with moulded timber architraves and tall, corniced doorheads.

BOUNDARY WALLS: to W, N and S. To W, low coped rubble garden walls. Further, taller, coped rubble wall to N and S.

Statement of Interest

Part of a B-Group comprising: '1 and 2 Graham's Place, King Street, Including Boundary Walls' and '3 and 4 Graham's Place, King Street, Including Boundary Walls' (see separate listing).

This is an impressive pair of Classical houses with a double Doric portico which form a pair with Nos 1 & 2 Graham's Place (see separate listing). Both blocks are similarly well-detailed with Classical details and their use of ashlar marks them out from the other villas in the area. They are a significant addition to the streetscape of this area of Perth. The design details, their proportions and the high quality of their interior decoration mark them out as being houses of some quality and interest.

The Southern sections of King Street and James Street were laid out in a grid pattern in 1803, to accommodate expansion of the city. The land had previously been a garden for the King James Hospital, which is situated to the North (see separate listing). Individual plots were then sectioned in 1830 by the City architect, W D Mackenzie and feued for housing. Conditions of the feu meant that most of the houses had to be set back at a certain distance from the street, with their gardens to the front. Local information suggests that these four houses were built by a Mr Graham, for his four daughters. They first appear on the Ordnance Survey Map of 1860 and are not apparent on the 1837 Map.

List description updated at resurvey (2009).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.