This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3937 / 56°23'37"N
Longitude: -3.4338 / 3°26'1"W
OS Eastings: 311585
OS Northings: 723299
OS Grid: NO115232
Mapcode National: GBR 1Z.12J3
Mapcode Global: WH6QC.7K3D
Entry Name: 35 King Street, Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 26 August 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 385190
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB39508
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Perth City Centre
Traditional County: Perthshire
Circa 1835. Single storey, attic and basement, 3-bay cottage with pilastered doorpiece. Squared and coursed rubble, render to rear (E). Deep, boarded eaves. Raised central steps with splayed decorative iron railings lead to pilastered doorpiece with concave reveals. 6-panel timber entrance door with later glass panels; rectangular fanlight above. Later canted bay to left. Central piended dormer.
Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows. Piended roof, grey slates. Wallhead stacks.
INTERIOR: (seen 2009). Some alteration to original room plan. Basement currently separate flats (2009). 4-panel timber doors. Some decorative plaster cornicing.
BOUNDARY WALLS: to W. Low, coped rubble wall with pedestrian and vehicular openings: square-plan gatepiers frame vehicular opening.
This single storey cottage has a fine doorpiece and distinctive splayed railed steps and it is a significant addition to the streetscape of this residential area of Perth.
The Southern sections of King Street and James Street were laid out in a grid pattern in 1803, to accommodate expansion of the city. The land had previously been a garden for the King James Hospital, which is situated to the North (see separate listing). Individual plots were then sectioned in 1830 by the City architect, W D Mackenzie and feued for housing. Conditions of the feu meant that most of the houses had to be set back at a certain distance from the street, with their gardens to the front. Many of the houses, including this one, are apparent on the 1837 Map.
List description updated at resurvey (2009).
Other nearby listed buildings