This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.7128 / 56°42'46"N
Longitude: -3.7264 / 3°43'35"W
OS Eastings: 294419
OS Northings: 759230
OS Grid: NN944592
Mapcode National: GBR KB5Z.7S1
Mapcode Global: WH5MJ.QJQR
Entry Name: Moulin, Moulin Church (Church of Scotland) with Graveyard, Gates, Gatepiers and Graveyard Walls
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 385732
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB39860
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
John Campbell Walker (Edinburgh), 1831, rebuilt and spire added 1875, porch after 1926. Simple gothic, rectangular aisless church with centre tower and slated pyramid spire. Roughly coursed snecked rubble with droved and stugged margins. Segmental-headed openings. 2- and 3-stage sawtooth-coped buttresses; voussoirs; stop-chamfered arrises.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical 5-bay elevation with dividing buttresses. Advanced tower (see below) to centre with tall windows in flanking bays; small jerkin-headed bipartite dormer windows with trefoil-headed tracery and decorative cast-iron finials over bays 2 and 4, 2 small ridge ventilators above.
TOWER: 3-stage tower with full-height 3-stage diagonal buttresses and pyramidal spire with decorative cast-iron cockerel weathervane. 1st stage with timber door to N and square-headed window to W; drip course to N giving way to 2nd stage with window below roundel (both louvered) to N, E and W; moulded course at 3rd stage below trefoil-headed, slate-roofed, bipartite, louvered lucarne with small blind roundel and decorative cast-iron finial to each face.
S ELEVATION: tall window to each of 5 bays with dividing buttresses and 3 dormer windows (as above) over centre bays.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: broad gabled elevation. Later small pitch-roofed porch to centre with blind roundel in gablehead, pointed-arch timber door on return to right and 2 trefoil-headed windows on return to left; further lean-to addition with door and small window adjoining to right. Tall window at 2nd stage and stone-cross-finialled gablehead.
W ELEVATION: broad gabled elevation with 2-leaf square-headed timber door to centre, single window above and stone cross finial; flanking diagonal buttresses.
Diamond-pattern leaded bordered glazing with coloured margins to dormer and porch windows; 8-pane glazing pattern to replacement bottom pivot timber windows. Grey slates. Ashlar-coped skews.
INTERIOR: fine galleried interior with open ceiling. Porch with dedication plaque worded "erected by members, parishioners and friends, in memory of Duncan Macalister Donald Minister of Moulin 1882 - 1926". Queenpost truss roof with barleytwist queenposts; horseshoe gallery with panelled fronts and barley-twist pilasters on moulded brackets and plain columns; fixed timber pews; boarded dadoes. Curved stair with barleytwist balusters to polygonal pulpit with barleytwist pilasters. Classical marble murals to former ministers and fallen of WWI and WWII. .
GRAVEYARD, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: 18th and 19th century rubble walled enclosure with pyramidally-coped square-section ashlar gatepiers and decorative cast-iron gates. Graveyard with predominance of 19th century stones, some early relief-carved stones including winged skulls, death heads and trade emblems. 2 early grave slabs, 'Crusader graves', each with medieval sword (see Notes), largest with later initials 'WMD' and date '1808'. Early carved stones include that inscribed '17 DM (carved heart) MT 86' and memorial 'ERECTED BY JOHN & JAMES ROBERTSON IN MEMORY OF THEIR FATHER FINLAY ROBERTSON LATE TENNANT OF ACHNEHILE' with winged angel head and date '1789' to obverse. E wall of church with mural tablet 'SACRED TO THE PIOUS MEMORY of MRS SUSAN CAMPBELL Daughter of LORD NEIL CAMPBELL and Wife of JOHN STEWART ESQ of Urrard Who departed this life AD 1740 Aged 30 Years Erected by HER SON NEIL AD 1803'. Some tablestones including 3 narrow slabs on 12 fluted columns. Celtic Cross and obelisk memorial, 1 surmounted by elegant Victorian angel with uplifted arm.
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Moulin Church was founded (either in the year 490 or 670) by St Colm. It was rebuilt after a fire in 1613, a shield bearing this date is incorporated into the fabric. Extended in 1704 and again rebuilt after fires in 1813 and 1875, the church finally closed in 1989 when the congregation joined with Pitlochry Parish Church. "Giving off a portion to the quoad sacra parish of Tenandry, Moulin is in the presbytery of Dunkeld and the synod of Perth and Stirling; the living is worth ?185" (Groome). The 'Crusader graves' are traditionally thought to be those of Knights of St John, and if so could date to the late 12th century. The graveyard closed for burials in 1896.
Other nearby listed buildings