This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.7131 / 56°42'47"N
Longitude: -3.7269 / 3°43'36"W
OS Eastings: 294389
OS Northings: 759268
OS Grid: NN943592
Mapcode National: GBR KB5Z.7K9
Mapcode Global: WH5MJ.QJGH
Entry Name: Moulin, Kirkmichael Road, Moulin Hotel
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 385734
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB39862
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
Early 18th century block to NE, remodelled later; angled entrance bay and adjoining bays to S after 1861; extended by John S H Brander, Pitlochry, 1936; S wing 1971; altered to rear. 2-storey, part with dormered attic, L-plan hotel in irregular terrace to S. Harled with painted stone margins.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: entrance bay in re-entrant angle to right with paired rustic pillars flanking deep-set 2-leaf panelled timber door and flanking narrow lights, corniced canopy above forming 1st floor verandah with 4 similar pillars and part-glazed 2-leaf door giving way to jettied attic with single window and tabbed margins, decorative horseshoe detail to bargeboarding in finialled jerkinhead roof. Advanced gabled bay (containing oldest part) to right with decorative ironwork bracket and hanging sign to centre at 1st floor, 5 regularly-fenestrated bays on return to left, penultimate bay to right with deep-set pointed-arch timber door and pedimented rusticated porch '1695' date (painted) and 'MOULIN INN', dormer windows breaking eaves at attic (2 to left blinded). 2 recessed 19th century bays to left of entrance with 2 large windows to each floor, and advanced gable (1971) beyond to left also with 2 windows to each floor and further small window in gablehead; bay to outer left with window to each floor.
N (BALEDMUND ROAD) ELEVATION: near symmetrical centre bay of 2-storey and attic with 5 openings to ground (grouped 1-1-3), 3 regularly disposed windows to 1st floor, and wallhead stack to centre above with flanking pedimented dormer windows. Lower bay to outer left with window to each floor at right, small window under projecting catslide roof at centre, door on return to left to raised platform with steps to outer left below signboard, flat-roofed (later) dormer windows to centre and outer right. Low single storey bay to right with 2 square openings to near centre (that to right blocked), window slapping to left and hayloft opening with boarded timber door to centre above.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular altered elevation with variety of elements including margined stair window to left of centre.
12-pane glazing pattern to principal elevation, largely plate glass glazing elsewhere, all in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped painted rubble and ashlar stacks with cans. Projecting eaves with plain bargeboarding.
INTERIOR: 1st floor of original wing with boarded timber reveals. 19th century wing with some decorative plasterwork, timber fireplace with tiled slips and shutters.
Trials were held in an old meeting room above the bar. Additions were carried out in 1936 for F D Park.
Other nearby listed buildings