History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priory - St Fillan's Cave

A Category B Listed Building in Pittenweem, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.2132 / 56°12'47"N

Longitude: -2.7275 / 2°43'38"W

OS Eastings: 354975

OS Northings: 702530

OS Grid: NO549025

Mapcode National: GBR 2T.DK68

Mapcode Global: WH7ST.23G6

Entry Name: The Priory - St Fillan's Cave

Listing Date: 18 August 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 385747

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB39873

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Pittenweem

County: Fife

Town: Pittenweem

Electoral Ward: East Neuk and Landward

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in


Natural underground formation divided into two compartments with a well. The entrance has a 17th century doorway. On the west side is a 17th century stair, built by the monks of the Priory, which leads to a vaulted cellar opening into the Priory garden. The cave was restored, reconsecrated and dedicated to St Fillan in 1935.

Statement of Interest

The previous listed building record, written in 1972, stated that the cave was 'used by settlement of Fillan 640'. The historical association with St Fillan is unclear, and largely dates to 19th century accounts. The cave was likely to have been used by smugglers as a store.

The cave was restored by the late Canon de Voil, Dean of Brechin, and reconsecrated in 1935, when it was dedicated to St Fillan.

Listed building record revised in 2018.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.