This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9548 / 55°57'17"N
Longitude: -2.9776 / 2°58'39"W
OS Eastings: 339058
OS Northings: 673966
OS Grid: NT390739
Mapcode National: GBR 2J.XWHV
Mapcode Global: WH7TV.7LC9
Entry Name: Preston, Station Road, Preston Lodge, Including Boundary Walls and Gatepeirs
Listing Date: 11 June 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 386243
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB40326
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Preston, Seton and Gosford
Traditional County: East Lothian
Dated 1844, initialled 'WH'. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay Jacobean villa with S-facing L-plan front; substantial iron-crested west-facing rear addition, circa 1890, doubling size of house; towered 3-storey French pavilion N end, with decorative cast-iron brattishing finials. Grey ashlar. Shouldered windows at 1st and 2nd floors to 1890 addition. Cill course to towered N end. Corniced blocking course.
S ELEVATION: advanced bay to right with canted window centred at ground with stone roof; window above at 1st floor, and at attic. Porch in re-entrant angle with pierced parapet and clasped octagonal buttresses, glazed door, lattice-glazed window to W return, both in segmental-arched openings, window above at 1st floor. Bay to left slightly advanced, with regular fenestration to both floors, 1st floor window set within stone-fronted gabletted dormerhead breaking eaves.
W ELEVATION: 5-bay, comprising 2-bay advanced shaped gable of original house to right, with 2-leaf 10-pane French windows in bay to left at ground, window in bay to right at ground, windows in bays at 1st floor. Architraved doorpiece in penultimate bay from left at ground, with modern timber door, glazed central panel, plate glass rectangular fanlight. Architraved window to right, regular fenestration to floors above, with bipartite windows in bay to right at both floors Advanced bay to left with bipartite windows at ground and 1st floor, curvilinear gabletted tripartite window advanced and breaking eaves at attic, with corbelled cill on moulded brackets, armorial shield set in recessed shouldered tablet at apex.
N ELEVATION: advanced bay to right, comprising door at ground (not seen, 2000), bipartite window at 1st floor, curvilinear gabletted tripartite window advanced and breaking eaves at attic, with corbelled cill on moulded brackets, armorial shield set in recessed shouldered tablet at apex, repeated at E return at attic. Recessed gable to left; ground floor obscured by wall; stone stair to 6-panel timber door with 2-pane rectangular fanlight to right at 1st floor, 2 windows to left at 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: obscured by wall. Irregular fenestration at 1st floor.
Variety of timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof. Some modern skylights. Grouped octagonal gablehead and ridge stacks; corniced, with circular cans. Moulded skews and decorative skewputts. Cast-iron rainwater goods, with decorative hoppers.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: rubble boundary walls, flat copes, ashlar gatepiers with pyramidal caps; pedestrian gate to N, with timber door.
Of interest for its fine details, including the curvilinear gables, the generous roofline brattishing, and its prominent corner site. Owned by George Greig Moncur in 1904, a partner in Mackenzie & Moncur, the well-known firm of hothouse builders and heating engineers. The original villa was built after the manner of William Burn's Jacobean style, developed from the surveys of English 16th and 17th century buildings by John Britton and others. The extension of circa 1890 takes up the same curvilinear gable theme as a decorative feature of the corner tower.
Other nearby listed buildings