This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9904 / 55°59'25"N
Longitude: -3.385 / 3°23'5"W
OS Eastings: 313698
OS Northings: 678353
OS Grid: NT136783
Mapcode National: GBR 21.VMHG
Mapcode Global: WH6S9.ZP8L
Entry Name: 2 Newhalls Road, Hawes Inn
Listing Date: 22 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 386278
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB40354
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Almond
Traditional County: West Lothian
Original section later 17th century; 19th century additions to W; Baronial E wing added by Sydney Mitchell & Wilson, dated 1893; reused datestone 'IS BB 1638' at rear of W section. Front divides into 5 distinct sections; harled with painted chamfered margins; E wing has unpainted ashlar dressings. Base course to all buildings but E wing.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-storey with dormerhead, 3-bay. 2-storey, single bay advanced crowstepped gable to right; single window at ground and 1st floors. 2-storey, advanced bay in angle of gable; bipartite at ground floor; tripartite at 1st floor oversailing ground; crenellated parapet; single window on E face at 1st floor. Single window in left bay at ground; window with gablet dormerhead with thistle finial above.
E ELEVATION: crowstepped gable; paired 3-light corbelled octagonal oriel bays at 1st floor angles; conical roofs with ball finials.
S ELEVATION: rear wing; E face: timber balcony with forestair to right at re-entrant angle; 2-storey, 3-bay range to left; paired central doors; regular fenestration pattern; 1st floor gablet dormerheads with finials. 2-bay S crowstepped gable returning into rear wing; 2-storey, 4-bay wing; irregularly spaced ground floor windows; regular fenestration at 1st floor with gablet dormers.
ORIGINAL BUILDING (2ND SECTION FROM EAST)
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-storey and attic; 2 2-bay crowstepped gables to front. Central door; chamfered architrave; clock at top. Irregular fenestration in right gable; 2 small attic windows; regular fenestration in left gable; small attic window in right bay; piended dormers facing into valley.
S ELEVATION: sundial at south-west angle; later additions.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 3-bay; regular fenestration pattern; tall 1st floor windows; small window to left at 1st floor. Painted panels at ground floor.
S ELEVATION: 2-storey, 2-window range; modern additions.
LOUNGE BAR (4TH SECTION FROM EAST)
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: single storey range; central door, artisan pilasters, entablature above eaves; 2 windows to left; single window to right.
S ELEVATION: attic light; 2 single storey parallel ranges.
SALOON BAR (5TH SECTION FROM EAST)
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: single storey and attic, 3-bay. Symmetrical; central pilastered doorpiece with dentilled pediment; flanking windows at ground; 3 finialled gablet dormers above.
S ELEVATION: central door at ground; flanking windows. Dormer doorway in left bay at attic with forestair; dormer window in right bay.
Variety of glazing patterns; predominantly timber sash and case windows. Slate roof; crowstepped skews to E wing and original building; straight skews to rest; coped stacks at gableheads.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
The inn was originally called Newhalls Inn and the date stone seen on the SE wall (IS BB 1638) was taken from the old house New Halls; by 1896 (the date of the 2nd Edition O S Map) it had been renamed Hawes Inn. IS and BB were the merchant John Smith and his wife Bessie Bathgate. Hawes Inn found fame in Robert Louis Stevenson's 'Kidnapped' as the place where the kidnapping of the hero, David Balfour, was arranged. There are 4 painted panels of the story's main characters on the principle elevation: Uncle Ebenezer, Captain Elias Hoseath, David Balfour of Shaws and Alan Breck Stewart. The inn also has other literary connections: it is mentioned in Sir Walter Scott's 'Antiquary' and again by Stevenson in 'Memories and Portraits'. During the eighteenth-century the inn was used as a change house for stagecoaches using the Newhalls Ferry and the adjacent garage used to be the stables and coach-house.
Other nearby listed buildings