This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.548 / 55°32'52"N
Longitude: -2.8399 / 2°50'23"W
OS Eastings: 347102
OS Northings: 628580
OS Grid: NT471285
Mapcode National: GBR 84L9.Y0
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.BTW5
Entry Name: 40-44 (Even Nos) High Street
Listing Date: 4 March 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 386531
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB40584
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Later 19th century with later additions and alterations. 2-storey with attic, 3-bay tenement with shops at ground. Circa 1900 shop front at ground; stugged ashlar with droved ashlar dressings at 1st floor above. Fascia and consoled cornice at ground; stop-chamfered arrises.
NW (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: panelled door to centre with plate glass rectangular fanlight above; gilt No 42 to fascia above; window at 1st floor; rectangular plaque with carved swan beneath eaves. Outer bays mirrored with plate glass fix-paned shop window with deep-set glazed door to outer, scallop detail at top rail and timber swan-neck pediment at fanlight above each; Duncan?s of Glasgow tiles used at ingo to outer return of door recesses, with pastoral scenes of grazing cattle (lower vertical panel) and sheep (above at frieze) to outer right (former Butcher?s shop), dairy maid in elliptical Art Nouveau surround set in green glazed tiles below BDC decorative tiled frieze (former Dairy); terrazzo flooring to entrance with JAW (ie JA Waters) to right, BDC (ie Buttercup Dairy Co) to left; window at 1st floor above each and dormers breaking eaves with gabled dormerhead and ashlar finial (now missing to left).
SE ELEVATION: not seen, 1995.
4-pane timber sash and case windows, except modern glazing to attic. Slate roof with platform at apex. Ashlar coped mutual stacks.
INTERIOR: tiled shop interior to former butcher?s shop (to right). Tenement and left shop not seen, 1995.
There was a building on this site in 1823. According to local historians, the swan panel indicates that this building, or one on this site, was formerly the Black Swan Inn, where French prisoners of War were billeted during the Napoleonic Wars. The site in 1714 was apparently owned by a W Scott. James Duncan Ltd, Tile and Marble contractors were the chief firm in Glasgow for supply and fitting of encaustic tiles between 1865-1965. They held a contract with the Leith based Buttercup Dairy Co, which ceased trading in 1949. Other known examples are at High Street, Innerleithen, and No 165 High Street, Linlithgow.